Now I'm confused?

daviss

What started out as a simple search here has now got me puzzled. I was looking for the correct orientation for the rocker shaft assemblies as I'm trying to finish up the top side of the new motor. Basically I was just looking to confirm which side was L/R and came across the service diagram on VortexBuicks.com and it shows the rockers alternating L/R-L/R-L/R on the same shaft. All of my rockers are L on one shaft and R on the other. I know the rocker assemblies were replaced by the previous owner using the ones Poston sells/sold. Do they need to be taken apart and reconfigured? All of this started because I noticed when I bolted the rockers and shafts to the heads, there were a couple of pushrods that seemed really close to the pushrod hole in the head. These are the same rocker assemblies that came off of the motor when I tore it down. If its wrong, this could explain the excess valvetrain noise the motor had from the day I got the car. It ran for 5 years like that and went over 120mph many times. Any input appreciated.

Steve

You need to take them apart and install them L/R L/R L/R I believe those are the same as the sealed power rocker shafts, and i have them on one of my cars.

Not left side engine and right side engine, these heads are identicle left and right.

The push pins are at napa, i have the part number here if you need them

BW

What started out as a simple search here has now got me puzzled. I was looking for the correct orientation for the rocker shaft assemblies as I'm trying to finish up the top side of the new motor. Basically I was just looking to confirm which side was L/R and came across the service diagram on VortexBuicks.com and it shows the rockers alternating L/R-L/R-L/R on the same shaft. All of my rockers are L on one shaft and R on the other. I know the rocker assemblies were replaced by the previous owner using the ones Poston sells/sold. Do they need to be taken apart and reconfigured? All of this started because I noticed when I bolted the rockers and shafts to the heads, there were a couple of pushrods that seemed really close to the pushrod hole in the head. These are the same rocker assemblies that came off of the motor when I tore it down. If its wrong, this could explain the excess valvetrain noise the motor had from the day I got the car. It ran for 5 years like that and went over 120mph many times. Any input appreciated.

Steve

The diagram from VortexBuicks is correct. From the front of the engine the left head would be L/R-L/R-L/R. The right head would be R/L-R/L-R/L

The diagram from VortexBuicks is correct. From the front of the engine the left head would be L/R-L/R-L/R. The right head would be R/L-R/L-R/L

OK, now im confused, if its the same head , why would the other need to be R/L VS. L/R ?

Where is the link?
BW

Thanks guys

Thanks guys. Do you think that would have caused the valvetrain noise the motor had? Is the only difference the offset on the pushrod cups?

BW, the plastic button p/n would be very helpful. I've got to go by NAPA this pm anyway.

Steve

Thanks guys. Do you think that would have caused the valvetrain noise the motor had? Is the only difference the offset on the pushrod cups?

BW, the plastic button p/n would be very helpful. I've got to go by NAPA this pm anyway.

Steve

Well make sure you do both sides L/R on the shaft, its the same head left and right.
L/R L/R L/R
L/R L/R L/R

The napa auto parts engine parts box shows 2141129 box of 16 call ahead they might not have them in stock.
I had to do this because someone else put them together wrong when they got these,.. they came unassembled, and are no longer avail from sealed power.
BW

OK, now im confused, if its the same head , why would the other need to be R/L VS. L/R ?

Where is the link?
BW

On the rocker shaft they are assembled the same but looking from the front of the engine the order looks reversed because the heads are rotated 180* from each other.

On the rocker shaft they are assembled the same but looking from the front of the engine the order looks reversed because the heads are rotated 180* from each other.

Yeah i wasnt understanding what you meant by R/L R/L R/L, its not like he will be reaching all the way over the engine to install the other side.

So we all agree L/R on both shafts since the heads are identicle:)

Steve, i am sure that did not help drivetrain noise, i would think that one of the pushrods would have been cutting into the pushrod hole. I found this out when i purchased these rocker shafts with the heads and they were L/R R/L L/R or some odd order, the pushrod actually was rubbing the inside of the pushrod hole.

Take it easy
BW

Got them all back together. PITA when it's cold in the garage. Good thing I bought a few extras. I broke the first two buttons then decided to put them in the microwave for 10 sec at a time to soften them up a little. Just warm to the touch, not enough to do any damage. Then a couple taps with a ball-peen to get them started and finish off with a deep well socket.

Thanks for the help
Steve

Got them all back together. PITA when it's cold in the garage. Good thing I bought a few extras. I broke the first two buttons then decided to put them in the microwave for 10 sec at a time to soften them up a little. Just warm to the touch, not enough to do any damage. Then a couple taps with a ball-peen to get them started and finish off with a deep well socket.

Thanks for the help
Steve

I used a 10mm deepwell and a extension. Should have thought about the microwave:biggrin:

Good to go :)

BW

I decided to go out last night and look @ the old pushrods. I didn't look them over when I disassembled the motor, just pulled them out and threw them in a bag. It's a cell phone pic but I think you can see the groove well enough. I mic'd is and it was worn down almost .020. This was the case on two of the pushrods.

Attachments

• pushrod.jpg
    pushrod.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 156