Noticeable drop in power when A/C compressor engages

MRP78

I just redid the A/C on an 87 turbo buick. New comprssor, accumulator, orifice tube. It works well and is cold but I can really feel it engage and disengage like it puts a good load on the car. When it disengages its like it gets more power and a load is taken off. Is this normal? It's been so long since I've driven one of these where the a/c works so I don't know what's right and what isn't.

I converted mine to R134 and the compressor seems to kick in and out a lot which seems to make this more noticeable. The higher the engine revs the more it does this and a lot of times it's quick. I'm wondering if I may need to change some kind pressure valve too. Maybe the high pressure valve because of the differences in pressures between R12 and R134?

The AC compressor does put additional load on the engine, most cars you WILL feel it.
I dont know if your old enough to have experienced the older A6 compressors GM used, but they put a HUGE load on the engine, back in the day, I remember hearing about a 30 h.p. load:mad:

Mine pulls the motor down a little but your IAC should compensate for any big changes in rpm.

The AC compressor does put additional load on the engine, most cars you WILL feel it.
I dont know if your old enough to have experienced the older A6 compressors GM used, but they put a HUGE load on the engine, back in the day, I remember hearing about a 30 h.p. load:mad:

The A6 was a good but heavy compressor, they even had a small oil sump on the bottom.