Not trying to beat a dead horse

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
Okay. I KNOW we've ALL been over this before. The "value" of our beloved TTA. There current sale prices... blah blah blah.

Here's my issue:

There were OVER 20,000 1987 GN's built.
Seems that they fetch close to or more than a similar condition TTA. WHAT THE F**K is wrong with this picture?

That said, I LOVE my TTA. To me, it's priceless. A word about that.
I bought it with 3,912 miles on the clock. I paid $20,500. That's without the owners kit...

BUT, of the 10 or so "low milage" TTA's I saw, it's history and condition was actually perfect. Belonged to a GM Exec, his wife had the other TTA. They had 2. Came to me just as it did before dealer prep. I have ALL dealer prep materials, down to the fuse (in it's original package) that was hanging from the mirror when it rolled off the truck. Apparently, there is/was a belief that battery would drain after a while if this fuse was in place.

Anyway, I know I overpaid. At least a little. But, considering what was on the market for the 10 months prior, I got a steal. Even if it cost me 1 or 2 G's more.

Okay, still with me??

Why is it that the 20,000 + GN is worth close to or MORE than our babies?

Just go ahead and find/price a 4,000 mile GN. 25-28K ALL DAY.

Makes NO sense to me. Common sense says that a super rare 1969 RS/SS Camaro (with certain codes that makes it one of 1500) is worth 10x more than a 1969 Vette that had 20,000 brothers on the road.

I need a hug.

Thanks for listening to my randt. If you have any feelings, lets have a group b*tch about it. Makes NO sense.

Peace my TTA brotha's

- Michael

Basic laws of supply and demand.

GN's have a much bigger following then the TTA's do. Most GTA owners and camaro owners don't understand them, and GN owners don't find the TTA appealing.

I'd say you got a good deal on your car, if you figure in that whoever purchased it new took a 10k loss on it.

These cars are only worth as much as someone will pay for it, thats all.

TTA's are a steal for what they cost, and the performance that they put out.

TTA's outperform every area then the GN, but GN will still command a higher value most of the time.

It seems that most low mileage GN's are worth more then TTA's, but as they get higher mileage i've observed that TTA's hold their value over a GN at higher mileage.

Maybe pontiac should of made the TTA black instead of white... and might of had a bigger cult following....

I agree that if they made these cars in black they

would be more desirable.

1500 cars not enough of them to have significant following.

Also they look EXACTLY like gta's. (except for the badges), they don't stand out as being different.

Parts can be a pain to find if you need something TTA specific.

Has anyone ever seen a TTA in any other color than White?

Someone has to have repainted the car another color.

I still love my car.:D

Originally posted by v6transam
Basic laws of supply and demand.

GN's have a much bigger following then the TTA's do. Most GTA owners and camaro owners don't understand them, and GN owners don't find the TTA appealing.

It seems that most low mileage GN's are worth more then TTA's, but as they get higher mileage i've observed that TTA's hold their value over a GN at higher mileage.

Another thought...
Remember a whole lot of these cars were stored imediately after they were purchased. So the supply of under 200 mile cars is plentiful. Even seldom driven cars (under 10,000 miles) are easy to find. This is what is keeping the price down. The number of ultra low milage GN's is quite rare. Hence they are bringing top dollar.

Food for thought.....

Dave

Good point Dave. But I would think that out of 20,000 there would be an equal or larger amount of low milage cars. But your point is a good one.

Still an intersting and frustrating situation. I was actually hoping to add a super nice GN to my stable of boost. But, when I found what they go for... maybe not. I always knew that the TTA's are not worth as much as we all feel they should be. But, this week when I was browsing for GN's and found the prices... yea. I was none too pleased!

Kinda makes you wanna go paint all the GN's white just to piss them off.

No offense to Buick guys. I really do dig the GN's. But LOVE the TTA.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out over the next 10 years or so.

........so like anything for sale, it's a buyer's market. I guess the only reason I'd get pissed, is if I had to sell mine. The low value right now was the only way I could afford to get one. Mine has 38K miles, and yes I RACE IT! The car was born to go fast.

I don't buy the argument that Pontiac guys "don't like them because they have a Buick motor"

If that logic were true what about all the T/A's with Chevy LS1 motors, 403 Olds, etc.

People really seem to like my car when they take time to look at it closely. I get quite a few compliments and "gee I didn't know they made these" comments.

Cool car in my opinion and I've owned 1 of just about everything! :cool:

Their day will come.

These cars have always been the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the Pontiac world. They just "don't get any respect". :( What is funny is Jim Wangers who created the GTO Judge program for Pontiac has one of these cars. It is a Cloth/T-Top car. He has a whole buch of GTOs and T/As. The TTA is one of his favorites. :)

I have been into Trans Ams most of my life with my first one a 1978 Bandit Edition I bought new in 1978. I still have two of the 2nd generation birds and have always liked the TTA since they came out in 1989. I really like these cars and will be hanging onto mine for a very long time.

I did not buy them to get rich. I bought them for the S%@t eaten grin I get every time I mash the throtle and the boost comes on....

- Dave

Originally posted by davege
What is funny is Jim Wangers who created the GTO Judge program for Pontiac has one of these cars. It is a Cloth/T-Top car. He has a whole buch of GTOs and T/As. The TTA is one of his favorites. :)

I even caught him driving it in the rain once. :eek:

Some magazine had a quote from Jim Wagners recently. He said something to the effect of " I hate this thing..it's quicker than any of the rest of my cars" I'm paraphrasing, but it was funny I thought.

ttas are what?

Hi !
What is the big issue with TTAs being undervalued?These cars sold well ,and were always pie in the sky for lovers of the F3. I recently had the chance to buy a clean, high mileage car, and I'm having a lot of fun working out the few bugs it has.
My point is, buy it, drive it and love it! 'nuff said?
Dale

Harley Davidson's, SUV's, hell even low carb foods. When some thing gets popular the price goes up. The bottom line is that the TTA is a far superior sports car than the GN. Some guys may say the sports car end of it isnt important beause they are more interested in the muscle car end of it. I how ever think the Trans am was a muscle car long before a Regal and continued afterwards. A TTA should be worth 25 to 50 percent more than a similar GN. The GN's popularity bonus is what puts the price over and above the TTA's.

The lack of interest in TTA's by the uneducated public makes our cars easier for us to afford and enjoy. I guess thier ignorance is our bliss.

Jason

Yea, I guess you hit it right Jason. Makes it easier for us to afford, which is the upside. And who knows, maybe in 10 years things will correct themselves.

And yea Dale. You're right. Buy it, love it, drive it. That IS the point. But, it's still a little frustrating if only because I wanted to add a nice GN to the garage. But cannot justify the price.

I've just never seen anything like this before. Where a car that was mass produced has a higher value of another muscle car that was fairly rare. There was actually a ZR-1 in the early 70's. Worth a$$ loads of cash today, since there was only about 200 or so. Besides being a bummer, it is actually kinda interesting economics wise.

Rock on.

Michael

Originally posted by postal
A TTA should be worth 25 to 50 percent more than a similar GN.
Jason

Lot's of things "should be" in this world, but that's not the way the world works :)