Not running properly... HELPPPP

DannyJov

Do Not Buy From Me
I'm new to cars in general and I know most of all of you fellow GN owners have been messing with these cars for a while so I need help..badly. I bought an 84 GN with 88k original and it had many minor issues and I thought it would be fun to make it my project car. I'm only 17 but I'm old enough to know that these cars are bad ass and I have a beyond basic knowledge of cars and specifically turbocharged cars. When I bought the car last fall, it had a leak after the H pipe, it was pouring out gray/white gas(possibly blown head), horrible slipping trans but I rebuilt it a month after buying it. I drove it until November before it started to snow(in Detroit) and towards the end of winter it was missfiring and bogging out and if I tried goosing it..it wouldn't even register that I was flooring it. RPM's or nothing was moving. I decided to store it in the garage for the winter and begin working on it. I started with a basic tune up(Bosch wire and ACdelco plugs). I got lazy and figured that the new plugs and wires would solve the missfiring issue so I took it out two weeks ago due to the nice weather and when I went to start it up and it started right up no problem but then it wouldn't idle. I needed to give it gas to keep it running so I thought this is either a lack of spark, fuel, or air. I went right to the pump and replace the fuel pump(I never replaced or took out the fuel pump relay when I did this..not sure if I should have) I went to start it up and nothing..just cranking. Wouldn't even start up so the other day I tested my coil pack and there was no sparking. I bought a new coil pack and module, Installed it and nothing...Just cranking still. I'm extremely frustrated because I have no more money to pour into this car and it's my only car(still living with mommy and daddy lol) so I'm stuck bumming rides in the mini van. It's no fun at all. I need help! Please! I've researched alot and come up with nothing. I hooked up a scan tool and it's not even reading my car. I love this thing to death, it's an amazing car and I would had to sell it for a ridiculously low price just to buy another car because I've became so attached to it and spent so much time and money. I know most of you are all experienced with these fantastic cars and I'm asking for any help. I do not want to bring it in and pay someone more money to do something that I could do myself! HELP PLEASE!!

There are some bare basics to any car for it to run, spark air fuel compression exhaust. Does the fuel pump run to prime at initial key on since you replaced it? How are you checking spark? Can you check injector drive with a noid lite, these ignition systems require a crankshaft sensor signal and an initial cam signal to fire the coils and the injectors, sounds like from your story it was running poorly before you replace
The pump but now it's a no start. So you may have more than one issue, the initial bad running and now the no start possibly caused when replacing the pump

I'm actually getting it towed over to a shop tomorrow morning and he's going to take care of the rest. As much as I hate to do it, I'm better off saving myself the trouble.

Anytime you replace a fuel pump you should replace the fuel filter. And don't take this the wrong way buddy but don't throw parts at your car, diagnose it then fix it and you will save yourself a lot of money. I only say this because I got my car when I was 17 for a project, and I didn't know anything about cars back then (now im 23 and a mechanic), anyway I threw a lot of parts/upgrades at my car (turbo, fuel pump, injectors, fpr, etc.) and wasted a lot of money as a result. I too live in southeast Michigan so if you need a good GN shop check out aggressive performance on Groesbeck, talk to bruce. good luck!!

I definitely agree with Nick, DON'T mindlessly throw money and parts at these cars, trust me, i'm knee deep myself. But I definitely did some due diligence before hand, and your goals may be different than my goals, so on and so on. I'm pretty new to these cars myself and have some limited knowledge of mechanics, kinda like you. The best thing you can do is keep asking questions like you are. This forum is a wealth of great information and advice from guys who have been there, and done that twice. All the way to guys like you and me. Use it! Before you do anything. Even if its something easy like a tuneup or something you know backwards and forwards, run it in a thread before you do it, and guys will pretty much within a day or two, give you all the ins and outs and pros and cons. These cars, although relatively simple, can be very finicky. They are also a ton of fun, to race, drive, and wrench on. They can also kick your bank account in the balls if you wish as well! The last thing you and some of the rest of us want is for you to get frustrated, or in over your head and give up. It's always nice to see a young gearhead and even better to have one doing what we all love to do, and that's GN's and turbo regals. When you bought that car you became part of a select few keeping these cars alive and enjoying, and enduring, all that they have to offer. Good luck reaching your goals and I hope you can get back on the road soon. Keep asking questions.
-Jimmy