not enough air filter???

TURBOZ

Im running 2 K+N air filters on my twin turbo car. Has anyone ever ran into a problem where the air filter has been to small so the boost falls off; however the air filter doesnt collapse?
My filters are cone 6" on top 4.5 on bottom about 6" long with a 3" inlet. The turbos are GT 40's (60 trim)

I would highly doubt the air filters are the problem, but to find out just run without them real quick. If it doesn't go away, then you'll need to look elsewhere.

Bellmouth the inside of the filters if they aren't allready.

The restriction of a 3" outlet filter usually isn't the size of the filtering element, but the shape of the outlet. A square sided 3" outlet will flow less air than a bellmouthed 2.5" outlet.

I was concerned with this also so, I called K&N and gave them the part # of the filter I was using and then they gave me the CFM rating.
The #'s suprised me.
If you go to the K & N siteand look up your dimensions then get the part # then call em up ang get the CFM #'s.

Someone posted a while back that K&Ns guideline is to have 1 sq in of filter area for every 6 cfm of air that has to get filtered. So, if you know about how much air you are pulling (easy enough to estimate from your rpm and boost level), you can get a pretty good idea if they are big enough or not. Or, like turbosam said, take 'em off and make a pass, see if the problem goes away.

John

My assumption would be that your TT SBC is doing this at WOT at the top of the gears? Certainly this would be on a track as you should be going "rather" fast.

If this is the case, get rid of the filters all together like Sam said as you would be amazed at how much power that they are robbing.