Not a TTA but......

Rum Runner

I have a passion for Camaros. Im looking into putting a turbo engine into one but Im not sure where to start. Is there a difference between the GN and the TA engines. Im looking to build it as a street carthat runs in the 10s. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

I have a passion for Camaros. Im looking into putting a turbo engine into one but Im not sure where to start. Is there a difference between the GN and the TA engines. Im looking to build it as a street carthat runs in the 10s. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
I

Hi,

My good buddy Metal had a Camaro conversion for sale but I don't know the status of this car now. Try to contact him. The conversion can be very expensive. The main wiring harness has to be changed, Caspers electronics, has them but they aint cheap. I really don't know all the particulars but I would think that vac lines will need to be changed and most evey thing in the engine bay will need to be relocated. I would think that you would be better off buying a high milage TTA. Besides, the WS6 GTA, in my opinion, is a far better platform than the top of the line IROC Camaro.

anything can be done.. TTA parts are getting very expensive. Metal's car is a deal !!! :cool:

Thanks for the input. If it's expensive so be it. I'm looking for a winter project. If you guys know of any parts for sale please let me know.
Thanks

I appreciate the help guys. But I just came accross an '85 GN for cheap with 70k on the clock. I feel thats the best route to go since the Camaro deal fell apart at the last minute on me.

that's not an intercooled motor. (85 year models)

TTA heads were the FWD heads.

This thread just developed potential.

Fm can range from crappy $150 to overkill $1000+ Depends on what the car will eventually be intended for.

if you plan on making big power - you will be one of the few who chose to do it with a hot-air car. Not that they can't do it, god knows that topic has been beaten to death, but it's a little more time and cash consuming.

If I had time and money, I would be willing to tinker with a hot air.

For instant gratification I go with the LC2 motor.

I know it will take some doing, but Im willing to do it. I know alot about small block Chevys but nothing about Buicks. Im glad I found this site. Im definataly gonna need the help.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

be sure to take everything you know about SBC engine building, and not apply it to the Buick motor.

you will have tons of fun with the little 231, look forward to your progress.

If u haven't bought the hot air yet take a good luck at the hot air section to see what it is gonna cost to get the power you want. It might actually be more cost effective to buy that TTA I linked to and repair it!! :)

Thanks guys. I going to check out that section. I already made the deal. Im supposed to go look at it this weekend to finalize everything. Hopefully all goes well and Ill have it home soon.

FYI...I know a guy in Bowling Green Ky. that has a hot air car running in the high 11's. He's had that ride for like 20 years. It rocks out on alky, but no intercooler. Totally streetable on pump gas. Just usual bolt ons and a better downpipe and turbo. The hot air cars can roll, but the intercooled LC2 is easier to deal with for going fast quick and cheap IMO.

Besides, the WS6 GTA, in my opinion, is a far better platform than the top of the line IROC Camaro.
Why? :confused: I have one of each, and they're virtually identical mechanically.

But, to answer the original poster's question, rather than deal with the 3.8 buick motor, I'd look into turbocharging an LS motor. LS swaps are becoming very common in thirdgens, and turbocharging the 5.3 is also a very common thing these days. It can be done very cheaply, and can provide just about any amount of horsepower for less money than what it would cost to get a turbo 3.8 to the same point.