Normal coolant temperature

flattype

What is the normal coolant temperature for a STOCK 86 T-type with the ac on in 90 Degreee + weather?

With the stock cooling fan.... and stock radiator.... it is fairly common to have a problem keeping it below 200 deg. Most people have swapped to the aluminum ('90 model or so) F-Body radiator and dual fans. Usually this keeps it plenty cool.

Another thing to consider is if you are running a stock location intercooler or a front mount. Cars with a front mount have more problems keeping them cool when compared to people running a stock location intercooler.

HTH

I have a stock fan and radiator and a 160 thermostat. Im getting up as high as 225 in traffic with ac on in 90 degree plus temps. Just curious what a totally stock car temps would run. Thanks Stock intercooler also.

Just as a reference......with the parts in my sig below and a 19K mile unopened block with stock radiator running distilled water, Red Line's Water Wetter and some Valvoline lubing additive in 90+ degree heat with the A/C on my car typically runs around 170-175 degrees and creeps up 5 or so in heavy stop and go traffic.

My temp was also climbing this weekend while testing the AC... I never let it go past 210 though, I'd rather be sweating than have to do more seals and gaskets... But I think my car still has a 180 degree in it, plus the front mount and stock rad and fan. Without the AC the car still runs a bit above 200. Doing a 160 degree this weekend hopefully. What's the limit on a safe temp? 225 seems high to me, but I could just be paranoid. :)

I just got my AC working last week; new compr., new dryer, orifice, etc. Used r134A, which does not work well in my car.:frown: I'm going back to r12, which I can get. But even with higher AC discharge pressure my '86 T will hold 195 deg. in town at 95-100 deg. temps. I haven't changed my radiator, still have the stocker, but I did go to a 160 Deg. thermostat and a heavy duty GM replacement water pump. Car normally runs at 165-170 deg. without the AC.

John

165 here all day long

i run 165 all day with the ac on I had my rad rebuilt and flushed the cooling system of the old crap in it . i use deionized water no prestone but put rmi 25 in the system like i said doesn't go above 165

Hi flattype -

I have an '86 T-Type with 80K on clock. Stock engine, turbo, injectors.

180 thermo
RMI-25
33% anti freeze
Distilled water
New, 3 row core.

At 115 degrees/10% humidity - car runs at 203 degrees; idles in heavy go-and-stop at 207.

Steve

Stock radiator, stock fan, 160 thermostat and fans coming on at 167 the coolant never gets about 180.

With dual fans it never gets about 167.. I would say if you hit 225 you need a new radiator.

Jason

oops youre right

yea i meant distilled water my mistake, i was running around 225 250 before i had the rad redone, just a recore with closer fins to improve cooling while driving, filled it with distilled water and added the (rmi) and use a 160 hypertech thermo, like i said ill run all day long with the ac blasting never goes above 160-165 same at the track ill run all day in the 1/4 and the temp doesnt go up. good luck to you just make sure your fans are turning on at temp sometimes the high relay conks out and you get no high on the fan something to check.....

Ok so I know I have a 180 tstat and my car cycles between 180-200 on STUPID hot humid houston days in 5mph traffic got it to 203 once the turned off the A/C and it dropper to 190... Are there any benefits to running a 160 tstat? Should I have a 160 tstat??? I had never given it a second thought...

It sounds like you need an updated chip to turn the fans on. If you have a 180 stat, it should stay at 180 with the air off. I do understand how it would get hotter in stop and go traffic with it on, but with the AC off it should not get over 180.

Get a 160 tstat and a new chip and you will be very surprised.