non-posi c clip removal

Louster38

how do you get the c clips out of a non-posi 10 bolt 8.5" rear? just push the axles in like a posi? it doesnt seem that there is any room for movement. i am working on it right now. i'll update if i get it figured out.

nevermind, there is a piece of bolt broken off that wont let the center cylinder out. thats going to be a pain to get out, if it is even possible.

Its been awhile, but i had to take a torch and cut out the rest of the big pin because the smaller bolt broke off and wouldnt let the big pin slide out.

How much of the small bolt is left holding the big pin inplace....
Its been 6 years since ive messed with one..
BW

there is probably less than of an inch of the small bolt out, i would say that means more than half of it is still in there.

i am going to try and get the rest of it out of there. perhaps get a smaller diameter screw in there and then back them both out. not sure yet.

if i decide to replace it with a posi rear anyway, can i remove the whole thing without getting the c clips off first? it seems like no.

Matter of fact, yes, torch off the c-clips and pull the axles out...
Now you can install the newer carrier.
BW

Go get some small left-handed drill bits, easy-outs, and a 90 degree drill. It's kind of a pain in ass to get in there, but that's the only way to get it out.

DO NOT!!! try to torch out the C-clips. The splined ends of the axles are heat treated, and you will weaken them.

If you're going to replace the carrier anyway, try using a cut off wheel to cut through the carrier and the pin to get it apart.

gunslinger said:
Go get some small left-handed drill bits, easy-outs, and a 90 degree drill. It's kind of a pain in ass to get in there, but that's the only way to get it out.

I am going to try and do that tomorrow.

unfortunatly these are common to break. i use a pic and unscrew the rest out of the carrier or drill a hole and use a easy out. rockenbach chevy should have a new bolt in stock .50 ea. i have a few of them as spares...

gunslinger said:
DO NOT!!! try to torch out the C-clips. The splined ends of the axles are heat treated, and you will weaken them.

Its not like you would get the axle shaft hot enough to weaken its strength by using a torch for 5 seconds on each c-clip.....

BW

i tried the pic and that hasnt worked yet, next step is drill and easy out. that should work. (fingers crossed) i will go to rockenbach for my new bolt once i get the old one out.

a little bit of drilling and some more work with the pic got it out. what a pain.

on the open rear ends, where is the hole to refill the gear oil once its all put back together and the cover is on? i dont see it anywhere

on the passenger side of the pumkin it will be a 3/8 square. use 2 quarts of 80-90. don't matter on brand

100_1865.jpg

success. here are some pics of an open, non-posi rear. all the ones ive found online have been posi. These may help anyone who has an older car. Besides the broken bolt, replacing the axles was not too difficult.

Attachments

• DSCF2107.JPG
    DSCF2107.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF2109.JPG
    DSCF2109.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF2110.JPG
    DSCF2110.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF2111.JPG
    DSCF2111.JPG