Noisy Power Steering - Question?

IawoBill

!awoBill
My '86 GN power steering system becomes noisy after I drive it for a reasonable distance ~10 miles straight without stopping. It almost sounds like a system that is either low on fluid or has air in the system. It's fine while stationary or driven short distances. It also returns to no noise if after a reasonable drive I settle into light to light short runs, etc.
In all noise cases it's only present while making turns.
Would you have any ideas? It's not low on fluid at least according to the reservoir and it also does not appear to be aerated. The fact that it goes away even without sitting is confusing. Thanks in advance for the help.

My 86 sounded terrible when I bought it. I've read how the 86's need to upgrade to the 87 style reservoir. I just removed some of the fluid and added lucas power steeriing treatment. That was about 5 years ago, perfectly quiet since then.:D

My 86 sounded terrible when I bought it. I've read how the 86's need to upgrade to the 87 style reservoir. I just removed some of the fluid and added lucas power steeriing treatment. That was about 5 years ago, perfectly quiet since then.:D

I 2nd that! I believe the newer style reservoir has the intel/outlet on the side. I did the same thing, zero issues and that was 10 years ago.

What wouldthe resevoir have to do with the noise from the pump?
--------------------------
Resevoir outlet and return line was too small, hence a redesing. As stated above, Verify what power steering resevior that you have and some Lucas power steering restorer fluid should do the trick. HTH
Even some of the '87 had the old style resevoir. Even though there was a GM recall on this, as a general rule GM dealers won't honor the recall, or at least that was everybodies experience that I am aware of. I have the recall notice # at home if you would like it, or do a search, as the # has been posted before.

I replaced mine with the updated reservoir and it's quiet as a mouse now. I used 5/8" heater hose for the line, which I've heard not to do, but it's been fine since I fixed it last year. I'll have to check it in the spring to make sure the hose is OK.

Here's the part number, according to my e-mailed receipt:

One bad thing though, when I put the number in a search at gmpartsdirect.com , it says it's been replaced by a new number. When I checked the new number, it says the part has been discontinued ! :(

That sucks...

I ordered an updated part (part number mentioned above) from these guys. I have not received it yet, but will post back when I do to let folks know. The problem I see with my current set-up, '86 GN, is that the fluid flow back to the reservoir with the car just idling is very agitated and I wouldn't be surprised that air is being pulled in. Mine always goes away after sitting even a short period of time, or slow in town driving.
Bill
Error Code: intro

The problem I see with my current set-up, '86 GN, is that the fluid flow back to the reservoir with the car just idling is very agitated and I wouldn't be surprised that air is being pulled in.

That's the way mine was, with the lid off and the car running, it was shocking how fast it was pumping through.... very foamy too. Once you get the new reservoir, your problems are solved :D