No Oil Pressure

TKMBUICK

I have an 87 Turbo-T had engine rebuild last November have about 2500 miles on it oil pressure idle was 22-25 psi and 50-60 running and then the values statred tapping and the oil pressure was going up and down and then nothing I pulled the value covers and no oil when I started it then I losen the oil lines to the cooler and oil was coming from there could the pump be bad any help would be great

thanks

Tim

You could:

check the oil level first

pull the pump plate and check the gears and shaft

pull the cam sensor and see if you can prime it

pull the oil pan to see if the pickup tube has fallen off.

oil level is fine, I don't think it's the cam gear the car runs fine, I think it's either the pickup tube but that's bolted down and not sure about the pump

The cam sensor gear meshes with the cam gear. The oil pump shaft is a simple rod that fits into the bottom of the cam sensor gear. If for some reason that shaft snaps, the car can still run.

The pick up tube is held on by two 8mm bolts. I see most use red loctite on them. If the shaft is turning the pump gears and it will not prime you may want to start there.

Attachments

• 100_0591.jpg
    100_0591.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 138
Yep if you carefully pull the bottom plate off of the front cover, the pump gears will come out of the front cover.

Pulling the cam sensor will tell you if the roll pin is bad. It's in the cam sensor driven gear.

It could also be the oil pump pressure relief valve stuck open, too. Or it could be wasted bearings, or a popped gallery plug behind the timing gear.

Tim,
If you want,i have a real nice priming tool you can use to help try to figure out the problem,pull the cam sensor,look for the obvious of course,then try to prime it,i have a few good extra vdo mechanical oil pressure gauges with all the line,you are welcome to that if you want it as well...If it isnt getting oil up top,you are gonna wanna do what these guys have said...sucks,especially on a new build!!