No Kill, But Close Enough

Epitome

Staff member
Ok there haven't been many posts here this winter so here is a semi kill from last year, before the Stage 2 motor went in. My car was set on kill and mid 10s capable at the time.

I stayed late at this very large local car show and though more than half of the cars had already left there were 2 really nice Chevelles sitting next to each other that a small crowd (15-20 people) was still gathered around. The Chevelle most were paying attention to was as straight and perfect as it could be. Roll bar, big block motor and perfectly finished off. The owner was there proudly telling everyone how the guy in the Chevelle next to his was the builder and that he had worked meticulously on it for more than a year to get it where it was today. He talked about how he had it at the track and how it had such power that on the street tires he had on it right then that he couldn't get any traction at the start. He bragged that even with it spinning all over the track it ran 11.7 and couldn't wait to go back with slicks. People were very impressed, and well they should have been, it was a very nice, very fast car.

My car was in the adjacent parking lot, it wasn't in the show as it wasn't 20 years old yet and they wouldn't let it in. As people started leaving from this little group I asked the guy if he wouldn't mind hitting it with me for a second or 2 when we got onto the highway on the way home. He asked me what I had and I told him it was a Buick with a V6 in it. He looked perplexed, and almost turned me down as if I was wasting his time, but then he agreed. As I was almost ready to walk over to my car, the guy who owned the other Chevelle and had built this guy's car came over and asked this guy if he was following him back to his house. When he replied that he was gonna go out on the highway with me for a sec, the builder asked me what I had. I repeated what I had said the first time, "a Buick with a V6". He looked right at me with an "I'm not stupid" look and asked "is it a Grand National?" I said yes. He immediately turned to the guy that said he was going to come out with me and said "come on and follow me, if you go out there with this guy you are going to get your ass handed to you." I wish I had a picture of the look of astonishment on the guy's face.....it was priceless. I think he was in shock. It would have been more fun to see his face after actually pulling on him, but the way it happened was almost as great.

I love stories like this!!! Goes to show you the builder knew the car wasn't as fast as the guy said it to be! How is that Stage 2 running?

Jason

On 14lbs of boost I think the Stage 2 drive line I have now is as fast as the old set up maxed out on 25lbs or so. We'll see. I was working out a small lean spike when the boost first comes up and then again on the shift when the winter hit and I couldn't finish. I won't turn the boost up at all until the program is near perfect at 14lbs. It's clearly far superior to what I had before....and it should be :)

Good story. I would classify that as a kill myself. The first guy agreed to run, but was pulled out of the fight by someone who obviously must have been shown the true power of the dark side at one time or another. We can all appreciate a nicely done older muscle car, and it's always nice to win a race without even having to race. They'll all be brought over to the dark side one way or another.
Keep up the good work out there.

Patrick

Cool story.

Go ahead and enter that show...our cars ARE 20 years old now. :p

I got into that show one time. Every once and a while they don't pay close enough attention and the fact that other GNs are there that basically look the same helps too. The time I got in they DID stop me and said I couldn't enter. I told him the car had been completely done over as a 1985 using a 1987 frame. When he asked why I would do that I said the 1985 was much faster. They let me in and then later came over and said not to come back until it was 20 years old lol.

You shoulda told em' it was an 86. Most folks don't know the difference....:confused:

Funny story. People either know of and respect/ fear these cars or they are stupid about them and think they cannot be fast because of the Buick V6 factor.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was at a local hang out. Not many up here really know these cars. Especially a White 87T. I parked in the lineup and sat there for awhile. Everyone just walked by as if I was parked in the wrong spot. I was parked between a loud mouthed owner of a 68 Camaro and a new style Mustang. Both were bragging about how fast they were as I watched and listened. Eventually one of the local engine builders walked over to me. He had built several race engines for me over the years and knew me quite well. He said " Nice Car" and asked if he could see under the hood. After gazing at the GT67P, 4" MAF pipe, AlkyControl system, M/T Drag Radials and the other subtle giveaways, he proceeded to tell these guys that the fastest car in this lot of 35 cars was probably mine. He told them to read up on the 3.8 Turbo Buick and was laughing as he walked away. He told them to keep their money in their pockets. The look on their faces was priceless. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01183 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    DSC01183 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 301
When I got into the show I guess it was 2005, that's why I said 1985. In NY, the year of your car is right on the registration sticker in the window, so whatever I said I was going to have a problem.

That is funny

I always say to myself If I feel like someone is a little too cocky and thinks they will just take on my El Camino, I will say hey, I got a little Buick if what you want to do is race, Then when they see the Black Brick, I know they will know Damnn shouldnt have done this.

That is exactly how I would have done it, good one.

A few years back I had a '90 Corvette and got into a tangle with a mustang. We ran bumper to bumper until we shut down. Well one of his Mustang buddies was following us and when I pulled off to talk to the guy his buddy says "Hey you want to run for some money?" I said sure but I have to go get my other car for that. He says "what is your other car?" to which I reply, " a Grand National".
He says no way, gets in his car and leaves. The guy I raced says do you really have a GN and I said yeah. He was pretty cool for a Mustang driver.

The other day a friends co-worker was telling him how he's buying a uned EVO with all kinds of work done to it. Supposed to be an 11 second street car. The kid was running his mouth sayin he's race anybody because 11's on the street is untouchable. haha. He then asked if he wanted to race me. The kid says whats he got? ANd my friend replies a GN. The kid laughs and says "no way. I was going to get either that EVO or a t-type." haha. I love messing with ppl who dont have a clue about this car. I had a race going for titles last year but the kid never came back. He had a blazer with whatever 8 cylinder it came with bone stock. hahah. I told him i had a v6.