No injector pulse. Need a little guidance

KLAM427

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.
I'm working on my '87 WE4. It's been sitting for a while. The car runs with fuel into the intake but will not run on it's own. I checked for 12v @ injector connector and I have 12v with key in on position. I'm not getting any pulse with test light connected between the connector terminals. Any thoughts on what I should check next? Seems like I'm not getting signal from cam/crank sensor?
Thanks again for any help.

What do you have for diagnostic tools?
Rpm signal? Check the crank sensor. Loose, broken, wiring messed up?

What do you have for diagnostic tools?
Rpm signal? Check the crank sensor. Loose, broken, wiring messed up?
Hey Chuck, I have a Scanmaster that I have never hooked up. It's brand new. I don't even know if it is capable of helping in this situation. Looking for guidance. I'm a good mechanic but kindof an old school guy. Not familiar at all with the Buick stuff. I just own one. LOL. I'm very good at following instructions!

BTW it's for sale and I'll be taking it to Bowling Green next week.
Thanks for your response.

Hook up the SM and post the readings. If there's no rpm signal, start there....

Since there is spark the cam & crank sensors are OK. Two things come to mind, a lack of DRP to the ECM, or the TPS voltage is high (> 4 volts).

Without a DRP (DIS/Distributor Reference Pulse) to the ECM, the ECM won't fire the injectors. This DRP signal originates at the ICM.

If the TPS signal is high the ECM goes into a clear flood mode. This has the injectors firing with a small PW. This may not show up on a light.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Grounds ok? I had the same issue a while back and it turned out I needed an extra ground on my new module

Google Vortex Buick No Start and you will have instructions to follow.
FWIW. I got the Scanmaster hooked up and I don't get any reading from it. It powers up and displays the version 2.1 but then nothing. Should I get readings even if the engine doesn't start? If not, I could get it running for a few seconds with fuel into the intake to get something on the Scanmaster.

RmvBfrFlight That's good info about the cam and crank sensors. I'll have to check the TPS voltage. The plugs are bone dry so it doesn't appear that I'm getting ANY fuel at all. A question... ICM = Injector Control Module?

MeanBuicks I'll refer to the Vortex Buick info you suggested. Thanks for that.

Thanks for all of the replies and info. I'll keep working at it in the a.m.

With the key on, engine off you should still be able to scroll through the various parameters on the Scanmaster and see values for certain items.

With the key on, engine off you should still be able to scroll through the various parameters on the Scanmaster and see values for certain items.
I got nuttin'
Is it possible since the tool has never been activated by the ecm in a run condition that my scanmaster isn't activated somehow?

RmvBfrFlight That's good info about the cam and crank sensors. I'll have to check the TPS voltage. The plugs are bone dry so it doesn't appear that I'm getting ANY fuel at all. A question... ICM = Injector Control Module?

Ignition control module, sits under the coil pack.

RemoveBeforeFlight

No scanmaster data = no ecm power or bad/no data connection

Check scanmaster data wire connection. Check ecm fuse and orange wire by battery.

If you have a test light you can check these circuits right at the ecm. A6 is ignition power, C16 is battery power.

Rick

Thanks so much for everyones input an assistance on this issue. I've had this thing torn apart from both ends it seems like but I found the issue.
I didn't know this was in the glove box. Feeling a little silly right about now. LOL
Thanks again to all who gave thoughts and input. A flip of the switch fixed it!
IMG_1759killswitch.jpeg

Thanks so much for everyones input an assistance on this issue. I've had this thing torn apart from both ends it seems like but I found the issue.
I didn't know this was in the glove box. Feeling a little silly right about now. LOL
Thanks again to all who gave thoughts and input. A flip of the switch fixed it!
IMG_1759killswitch.jpeg

Yahoodi must have been residing in that glove box....[He's the guy that "magically" pushes the up the next Kleenex tissue.]:rolleyes:
I'd wager he "magically" flipped the switch, too...............:smuggrin: