No engine braking in 1,2,3

Rocket Power

I tried to search the forum for an answer, but the search isn't working for me. anyone have any idea what is wrong with my tranny? (200 4R) It shifts hard and normal when upshifting.

Thanks.

When you say no engine braking do you mean it does not slow the car down when you let off the gas ? If so with that converter it wont slow you down unless the RPM's are above that. Did you change anything else,Tire size , gears or anything.

It is possible for the transmission to have no engine braking as you described if the overrun clutch pack has a problem. The only function for this clutch pack is to provide engine braking so if it screws up for whatever reason, everything else in the tranny will still work fine.

engine braking as in when you pull it down a gear manually it doesn't slow the car down and the tach stays at idle.

This is not a normal thing, trust me. It was working fine the day before. I have put about 25 passes at the track these past two days on it and everything is shifting fine still.

MeanBuicks said:
It is possible for the transmission to have no engine braking as you described if the overrun clutch pack has a problem. The only function for this clutch pack is to provide engine braking so if it screws up for whatever reason, everything else in the tranny will still work fine.

this is good news. It did catch once at the track, but then let go right away again. I made 32 passes this weekend and seem to have no other problems with it. How hard is this to fix?

Thanks.