No brake lights

slick6732

I am sure this issue has been discussed a hundred times, but I have read, searched, scratched my head and now I am down to pulling my hair out. So here goes, I am having a problem that I can not seem to track down on my own. When I hit my brakes I have no bottom brake lights, the third brake light works fine. Which leads me to believe that my brake light switch is working properly. Things I have checked: Ground and wiring in trunk, tested switch at brake, connection under steering column seems to be connected good with no loose wires, have also checked almost every ground under hood I could think of. Hazzard lights work properly as do turn signals, any help you guys could give, may save a few of the last hairs that I have! Thanks!!!!!

Just a thought trying to help. Have you checked the bulbs to be correct. Brakes should be a 1157bulb 2wire filament. 1156 single wire filament, park lights.

I know you said you checked the wires in the trunk already,but did you wiggle the wires to see if they have broken at the ring terminal ? Sometimes a visual isn't good enough.

Had this happen before and it was the wires in the trunk under the mat on the drivers side. Stripped the wires and installed into a new ring terminal,cleaned the hold down screw and connection area and they worked like new again.

There is a grey wire in the center console that rubs thru and shorts out. When this happens the dash lights quit working and I think also the brake lights don't work. Do your dash lights work?

There is a grey wire in the center console that rubs thru and shorts out. When this happens the dash lights quit working and I think also the brake lights don't work. Do your dash lights work?

Usually takes out the running lights. Brake lights are a different circuit.

Also the 3rd brake light is a seperate circuit as well. When I added it to my 85, I had to use a 86-87 brake switch and run a new wire to the 3rd brake light. If I spliced it in to the rear brakes, it would flash. There are 3 connections on the switch. One is 12+, one for the brake lights and one for the 3rd brake light.
switch.JPG

So you know you are getting power to the switch. I would use a multimeter and make sure you are getting power output on the 2 connections for the brake lights. Then I would check the harness that goes to the rear of the car.

Check the wiring harness connector under the emergency brake (its under the carpet). Careful with those wires, they are aluminum except for the fuel pump power

Check the white wire on the far end of a harmonica shaped multi-cavity connector under the steering column.

It pulls loose from the connector and the regular brake lights don't work the third brake light has it's own wiring from a second brake switch as shown above.

Easiest fix is to cut the two white wires from the connector and splice them together for eternity.

The strain on that wire is evident after pulling off the plastic covers from underneath the steering column.

Search feature should have more info. if it works. ;)

Brand new 1157 bulbs, stripped wire installed new ring. Yes I do have dash lights, everything works great except the brake lights not working! Thank you all for the thoughts.

Check the white wire on the far end of a harmonica shaped multi-cavity connector under the steering column.

It pulls loose from the connector and the regular brake lights don't work the third brake light has it's own wiring from a second brake switch as shown above.

Easiest fix is to cut the two white wires from the connector and splice them together for eternity.

The strain on that wire is evident after pulling off the plastic covers from underneath the steering column.

Search feature should have more info. if it works. ;)

Crawling back under dash to have a look, will keep you posted on my findings. Thanks

Usually takes out the running lights. Brake lights are a different circuit.

Also the 3rd brake light is a seperate circuit as well. When I added it to my 85, I had to use a 86-87 brake switch and run a new wire to the 3rd brake light. If I spliced it in to the rear brakes, it would flash. There are 3 connections on the switch. One is 12+, one for the brake lights and one for the 3rd brake light.
View attachment 255716
So you know you are getting power to the switch. I would use a multimeter and make sure you are getting power output on the 2 connections for the brake lights. Then I would check the harness that goes to the rear of the car.

Just tested all wires and switch again, all three wires have power when switch is opened. When closed, the orange wire is the only hot wire. Switch would surely been the easy fix. Never easy in my case..

It's pin P of the connector closest to the drivers position up top on the right side underneath of the steering colunm ie slightly to the radio side.

11 Cavities are shown for Connector C104 so it's a pretty large connector, find the white wire up top and wiggle it good, see if you get brake lights after that.

If so just bypass it.

salvageV6, Planning on checking that connection tomorrow. The second schematic, am I reading it wrong or could the hazard switch keep the brake lights from working? The hazzards work good, so i think power is going through it just fine. Just trying to get this wiring straight in my head. Thank you for all the information, it is greatly appreciated.. All of you!

If you have power going into the hazards then yes the hazard switch could affect operation.

See the white wire feeding it from that connector C104 you are going to look at?

You need to verify power on that white wire out of that C104 connector or into the hazard switch itself (easier to verify at C104) before making any further assumptions about where voltage is lost.....