No 2->1 downshift

84ZZ4

I've finally gotten the 200-4R in my Olds pretty well situated. It shifts more or less when it's supposed to (maybe a little high at part throttle, but tolerable). I've only really got one problem left.

The transmission will NEVER downshift into 1st if you floor it.

When floored, it'll downshift from 4th straight into 2nd, from 4th to 3rd, and from 3rd to 2nd (depending on road speed, throttle pressure, etc etc). It will never go from 2nd to 1st. Not even if I let it coast down a hill from a dead stop with no throttle and let it shift into 2nd around 7-8mph, and then floor it. It stays in 2nd. And it has all the performance of a Civic missing a cylinder at 8mph in 2nd.

If I slow down below the minimum shift point (7-8mph) it will downshift into 1st based on road speed. If I drop it down to MANUAL first, it will go.

I tried yesterday flooring it at 10mph in manual 2nd yesterday, and it wouldn't downshift there either. When I kicked it down to manual 1st while staying floored, it kicked down into 1st immediately. Kicking it back up to "D" (I missed manual 2nd, damn column shifter) left it in 1st until it shifted at 4500rpm.

The fact that it will do the 4->2 suggests to me that the TV cable is set either properly or too tight, and if I loosen it it won't do 4->2 any more. I can't for the life of me figure out what's stopping the 2->1 ONLY from happening. And if 200-4Rs can do 3->1 shifts, mine doesn't do that either.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to check?