Nitrous and Water Injection?

Scott Adcock

Ok, so I have been running Nitrous on the car for a few years at the track only and realize the benefits of the cool intake charge as well as the additional fuel that gets dumped in. I have been reading a lot about water injection for turbo applications and the benefits of the cool intake charge lately, especially for turbo applications without an intercooler - heck even cars with intercoolers can benefit as well. So the question is what, if any benefits would there be to a water / Nitrous injected turbo setup for our cars? Or will this likely just go boom?

I am still thinking of setting up a system for the water alcohol injection setup that could be used independent of the Nitrous setup (for street use, etc.) and leave the Nitrous for the track, or perhaps both systems for the track?

Has anybody ever tried this? Thoughts?

yea an alky kit will go real far with the system we run, a stand alone like Razors or SMC would do the job perfectly.

but no need for water in my opinion, just straight alky.

this was one fear i have and still do. when n2o (Nitrous) reacts with water it forms H2N2O2 a acid (hyponitrous acid) i still dont know if it causes damage. AJ runs nitrous and alky so i hope what i am doing is ok. so aj you dont run water?

this was one fear i have and still do. when n2o (Nitrous) reacts with water it forms H2N2O2 a acid (hyponitrous acid) i still dont know if it causes damage. AJ runs nitrous and alky so i hope what i am doing is ok. so aj you dont run water?

nope.... not a drop. 100% M1 meth. or when i can get it from work, 100% absolute ethenol

I dont see any need for water in our application, needing more fuel and beating the heat is our biggest concern and so alky does the best of both worlds. In my opinion, water just takes up space in the charge, yes it cools, but it displaces fuel at the same time.

The water can just absorb heat. The nitrous is lowering charge temps already, so they are both doing the same thing. I would think balancing both together would be a nightmare.

Nice thing about water is it is not a fuel. Just lowers temps without messing up A/F too much. Water's heat of vaporization is much, much higher than alcohol. Key is not using too much.

Gotta agree with the consensous here. One or the other but not both. It's not needed. A 50/50 mix of alky and water or straight alky or just NOS. Yu can combine the alky and NOS or the water ond laky, but doing water and NOS wouldn't be any advantage.

Ok. What I am hearing here is kinda where I was leaning - Water / Alky mixture for street use and Nitrous at the track - both at the same time, could cause some issues and I did recognize that in terms of cooling the intake charge, the Nitrous was already doing this a bunch. The acid compound as a result is interesting - according to Wikipedia "It forms white crystals that are explosive when dry." Nice!

My main concern was what the implications would be using both systems at the same time, hence the thought of using the Nitrous only for the track and the water / Alky injection for the street...

My main concern was what the implications would be using both systems at the same time, hence the thought of using the Nitrous only for the track and the water / Alky injection for the street...

its not to big a deal to use both if your using just alky. I use both on street and at the track. However, i dont use spray for a full 1/4 mile pass.

if your not using alky for a full power pass, your leaving power on the table. the buick is too detonation prone to be able to push enough nitrous cool your charge enough to make up for the lack of alky. try 100% alky and use both systems at the same time. at the very least, I like the protection the alky has if I have a n2o solenoid failure or a clogged jet or line on the fuel side.