Nightsounds - Part 12 "In only a moment..."

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
Jen saw Josh beat the Camaro and she had gotten it on tape, knowing that Josh would replay this race forever. It was all he had talked about for weeks – beating the guy in the SS and that was why she knew what that car finally was. It was the one that beat Josh uptown that evening and was the reason Josh was so determined to win again, no matter the price. Not really sure what all “twin turbo’s” and “Foggers” all meant, she just knew that the Vince-guy had given Josh a bill for nearly six grand – and to her surprise, Josh just smiled. Men… who could figure them?

Now, it was almost Joe and Josh’s turn to pull onto the track. Josh was behind a nasty little GMC truck that whistled and rumbled. He had yet to see this truck run, but knew it sounded good. ”Syclone”? What kind of name is that? he mused… Josh was a die-hard Ford fan. He didn’t keep up with the competition – because in his mind, there WAS no competition. It was only a matter of spending enough to win. He couldn’t grasp the concept of just ‘getting buy’ since he was born into money and kept on making it. To him, it was win, no matter the cost – because ‘cost’ didn’t matter. His pockets were deep.

Over in front of Joe sat a white Trans Am. However, Joe knew this car and it’s owner, as well as the guy driving the Syclone. Both of them worked in the same office building as he did and they often talked cars at the water cooler or in the parking lot. The Syclone was far from stock, it’s Stage 2 motor having been built and massaged by Duttweiler Performance. The TTA was only mildly built, all bolt-on stuff with a new turbo/intercooler/converter - but still capable of hitting very low elevens and supposedly nudging 10.90’s if the conditions were right. Still he didn’t think it would hold up against the Syclone.

And he was right.

Less than 11 seconds later, the little black truck crossed the finish line – nearly a second ahead of the TTA. Oh well… you win some, you lose some… Joe thought for the TTA driver (Dennis he thought was the guy’s name.)

Joe nudged his Viper into the box and did a long slow burnout to heat up his tires. Josh did exactly as he did against the SS – a quick warm up followed by a charge to the line. In just a few seconds, both were set and the tree began to descend.

At the green, both cars launched. But this time, the incredible torque of the Hennessey (the sticker said it was a Venom 600 – but the mods were those of an 800) absolutely annihilated the Cobra – MUCH to Josh’s surprise. And the worst thing about this ‘surprise’ was that now Josh was playing catch-up. But still, he didn’t falter and by mid track, he was beginning to reel in the Viper ever so slowly. Yet, the finish line was coming too, too soon. So, he decided it was time. Time to press the red button which he did just after shifting into fourth.

With the pressing of the red button on the dashboard, he energized a solenoid placed in a line – a NOS line that was routed up to a fogger plate in the intake plenum. This solenoid allowed the already pressurized line to flood the intake tract of the already force-fed Cobra with cold Nitrous Oxide in a gaseous form, immediately increasing the horsepower development of the DOHC mill. The results were incredible.

Immediately, the Cobra jumped forward and would soon be nose-to-nose with the Viper. But then – fate intervened and with less than 150 feet to go before they would cross the line, both of them in the ending phases of high 10 second runs...

Just as he pulled even with the Viper and about to pull ahead, an O-ring that was pinched during installation in the aftermarkent fuel pressure regulator failed, spraying a fine mist of high pressure 116 octane fuel into the engine compartment. And like all disasters, not just one thing causes them - this incident was no exception. Just as the vaporized fuel was leaking, a loose connection on an electrical sending unit arced, causing the tiniest spark.

But this tiny, nearly invisible spark was all the fuel needed to ignite. For just a brief moment, Josh didn't realize the trouble he was in - an engine fire at nearly 130 mph - and then his luck went from bad to worse with less than 100 feet to go to cross the line.

It was at that very inopportune moment that a fitting would crack on the NOS line in the Cobra’s bay, spraying a very fine stream of Nitrous Oxide directly into the fire. The results were cataclysmic. A small explosion was heard and the hood was flung up and back onto the windshield, the NOS accelerating and intensifying the engine fire. Now, Josh knew he was in very serious trouble... He had to stop the car NOW, he couldn't see in front of him, and flames were lapping up out of the engine bay, whipped by 130 mph winds.

His first reaction was to hit the brakes - HARD. He crossed the line only a half car length behind the Viper, but in a very grave situation.

The heat from the fire was now incredibly intense - so intense that it began to boil the brake fluid. In only a moment, Josh lost his brakes, and he was now careening out of control toward the sand traps in the wildly burning car. Emergency response personnel were already rolling before he hit the sand, but they were a quarter mile away. Luckily, the hood flung on off of the car now, blackened and bent beyond recognition. But Josh still had to get out…

Joe looked back and saw the fiery ride hurtling past him. Fear and terror gripped his heart, knowing that this was one thing all racers feared – fire in a moving car with fuel on board. He slammed the massive brakes of the Viper and slid to a halt, jumping from his car with an extinguisher mounted between the seats and began running toward the Cobra, now only 40-50 yards from the sand. To his horror, he saw that now flames appeared to be coming from INSIDE the passenger compartment.

The Cobra hit the sand at about 40 mph, tossing sand and dirt in the air several feet, spinning to one side. Thankfully, the dirt and debris was forced up into the engine compartment in enough force it somehow put out the fire. But that didn’t help Josh – the interior of the car was now on fire and he could feel the heat through his fire suit. He had enough presence of mind to hit the quick release of the 5-point and – couldn’t open the door! The twisting of the car hitting the sand had jammed the door latching mechanism. His only hope was to get out of the window somehow… a window that was still up! The power window controls were burnt away.

Trying to free himself from beneath the steering wheel, he began to feel weak, the acrid smoke filling the compartment. His extinguisher was in the rear seat but he couldn't see it and he was now choking and beginning to falter. He could hear sirens but strangely, they seemed to be getting softer. It was then he realized he only had a few more seconds to get out before he passed out from the heat and smoke. He now knew he was about to die a horrible and gruesome death.

He heard someone screaming – and realized it was his own voice. The fire had broken through his shoes and gloves and his skin was beginning burn. Terror and panic now gripped him as he realized he was going to die alone in his car. He struggled frantically, his left leg stuck between the steering wheel and the door, the heat and pain and smoke were making him sleepy…

So very tired and sleepy…

Just then came a sound of broken glass followed by a huge white cloud with a loud roar that came in rushing in through the broken driver’s window. Joe had busted the glass with the extinguisher and was flooding the compartment with the dry chemical, putting the fire out. But Josh was slumped against the seat, his suit blackened. Joe tried to pull the door open but the handle wouldn’t budge so he reached in and grabbed Josh’s limp body trying to pull him free.

Just as the rescue teams pulled up, with one final tug, he pulled Josh through the open window and laid him on the sand. EMT’s ran over with med bags, Oxygen kits and a stretcher as Joe began removing Josh’s helmet. Still, no movement…

Back in the stands, Jen stood crying, not sure what happened other than she knew it was something horrible and it involved Josh. She saw his car's hood fly up, then the fire, then nothing but smoke ending in a strange sounding crash with dirt and sand going everywhere. Smoke still poured from that end of the track and she saw the Ambulance/rescue vehicle’s race down the track. Oh dear God – please let Josh be ok? Please, God? Oh please…, she cried near hysterically now. Then, she felt someone pull her close. It was Sally.

“Hang in there, honey. He’ll be ok.” Sally said hopefully. Just having someone near her and hearing another person say “He’ll be ok” gave Jen a little bit of hope… but not much…

At the far end, the medical people had taken over and were now working on Josh. Still, no sign of consciousness. Joe wasn’t even sure if he was breathing. Josh’s face could barely be seen beneath the O2 mask. His fire suit was now completely cut away and Joe could some severe burns on his lower legs and forearms. But his skin color was bad… very bad.

The crowd still stood silently, only a few murmurs could be heard. “What happened?” “I’m not sure – some kind of fire.” “God, I hope he’s ok…” “Yeah… me too…” “You just never know, do you?” Nervous whispered conversations rose quietly from the stands to be swallowed by the night…

Just as Joe was about to look away, certain that this brash man who drove a great race was dead he heard a soft cough – then another, and then a stronger one yet. YES!!! He was alive! Josh could barely open his eyes, but he got them open. The rescue personnel told him to lie still, that he was burned pretty badly in some places and that they were about to transport him, but he wouldn’t say “Ok” until he held up his burned hand toward Joe. Joe took it and smiled at him, just as Josh weakly mouthed “thank you”. Tears welled up in Joe’s eyes at that moment. Tears of gratitude that Josh’s life was spared.

Sally and Jen were making their way down through the stands when they heard the announcement. “Ladies and Gentlemen… as you saw, there was a violent and tragic accident just moments ago. The driver of the car we have just learned is – “

Jen’s heart leapt into her throat, afraid to hear the next words – was he dead?

“- is going to be ok. He’s suffered some burns and some smoke inhalation, but the initial medical team report is that his injuries are not life threatening. Thank God.”

A loud cheer went up in the stands and Jen faltered, having to sit down. Sally sat with her while she regained herself then helped her to make her way on down and out toward the staging lanes.

Already, the other racers – sure of their own invincibility and full of the it-won’t-happen-to-me attitude were anxiously waiting their turns. Just then, Sally saw Joe pull up to the rear and led Jen towards him.

Joe told Jen what had happened and she hugged him hard, crying against his chest. Joe held her; tears full in his eyes too as he realized he had just glimpsed his own mortality. Sally likewise was crying, her hand on Jen’s shoulder, hearing Jen sobbing “Thank you… thank you for saving his life…” She thought about how life can change so quickly, how one moment you’re having the time of your life – the next, your life could be gone. She felt someone’s hand upon her back now. It was Dan.

Sally turned and leaned against Dan’s chest, her tears moistening his shirt. “Hold me, Dan. Don’t ever let me go…”

Dan and Joe stood there quietely, each lost in his own thoughts…

Joe asked Jen softly “Need a ride to the hospital?”

Jen nodded her head and wiped at her eyes, her mascara running down her tear stained cheeds... “We can take Josh’s truck.”

Joe watched the wrecker coming up the return road now with Josh’s burned out car, the ambulance already out on the highway and running hot for the hospital.

“Ok. Let’s go then. Oh, by the way – my name’s Joe.”

“I’m Jen" she sobbed through her tears... "Thank you, Joe for saving Josh’s life. He really IS a good guy at heart.” And with that, she started crying hard once more…

As Joe hit the “Lock” button on his keyless remote he heard the audible chirp. He can come back and get the Viper later and besides, it was off to the side so it wasn’t in anyone’s way. Right now, he had more important things to do than race.

And that was helping someone else…

More to come…

Very good! I was on the edge of my seat reading that! Thanks! :D

Originally posted by Raven
Less than 11 seconds later, the little black truck crossed the finish line – nearly a second ahead of the TTA. Oh well… you win some, you lose some… Joe thought for the TTA driver (Dennis he thought was the guy’s name.)

Ya know.... I could learn to like reading this fiction stuff.. ;) :D

Great story so far...

The First is the Best!

That was the first of Ravens installments that i've read, and it was great, very gripping, keep em coming!;)

Awesome story as usual. Very descriptive.
Now, I really dont want to step on any toes, but
...NOS.. highly flammable gas??
I surely thought it was myself, but in the interest of safety, I posted in the NOS/alchy forum, and seem to be getting responses that it isn't??

Good Question...

About NOS being flammable - to be honest, I don't know for sure other than a guy I work with said that it will burn due to its high Oxygen content and if it is under pressure.

I did get this off the internet (www.cganet.com):

What is nitrous oxide?

Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a clear, colorless, oxidizing liquefied gas with a slightly sweet odor. The product is stable and inert at room temperature. While classified by the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT) as a nonflammable gas, nitrous oxide will support combustion and can detonate at temperatures in excess of 650° C (1202° F).

I've never used NOS nor do I know anyone who has. However, I have read of explosions due to a bottle heater malfunction. Either way, in the story just take it for what it is. A story. ;)

Nitrous does not burn by itself.. As stated it supports combustion due to its oxygen content.

Im no chemist but I think it would be similar to a oxygen/acetylene torch. If anyone has ever used one you can demonstrate that oxygen will not burn by itself. Its gotta have a "fuel" of sometype to actually start and maintain combustion. Oxygen just intensifies it tremendously.

Don believe me eh???.... Take above mentioned torch (or have someone that knows how to use one) and turn on the oxygen ONLY. Cant light it can you?? Go ahead and try everything you can find to light it. Aint gonna happen... Now turn the oxygen off and turn the acetylene on. Lights easily doesnt it. With the acetylene still burning crack open the valve a small amount. Flame gets quite a bit more intense due to the extra oxygen. The more oxygen you add the more intense (hotter) the flame gets until the oxygen is increased to the point of diluting the acetylene and the flame goes out. If oxygen was flammable then it couldnt "blow out" the flame it would just keep burning.

I got another example if you guys still dont believe me... Oh, and how did I find the above info out?? Too much free time in the garage I guess.. :eek: ;)

Not sound nit picky and I love the story but it just so happens Ive been argueing with a guy at work on wheather oxygen will burn by itself or not. He wont lemme demonstrate the torch idea for him so I just gave up on the subject. There is one good thing about beating your head against the wall...... It feels good to stop.

Good info...

Thanks for the additional info on the nitrous. And I do believe you're right about oxygen not burning by itself - but I do remember the Apollo disaster when the capsule caught fire on the launch pad. I think the cause was blamed on the fact that the capsule had a pure O2 content inside and a spark of some sort set it off. Am I remembering that right?

I know the contents of the capsule went up in flames and the three astronauts lost their lives, but I'm not sure what part the O2 played in it other than it was a contributing factor. I think after that NASA changed how they pressurized the cabin.

Either way, it was a tragedy of immense proportions. :(

So, given that helpful info about NOS and Oxygen (thanks, Myclone) I rewrote part of the story. Check it out... ;)

Ohhh mannnn...... Ya didnt hafta rewrite anything IMO.. Just though it was ironic that I have been argueing with a knot head at work over the same subject.

I like your stories and hope you didnt take that as nit picking. It wasnt at all. If anything I figured we had a chemist or two on here that could either debunk or reinforce my "testing/theory" after reading it.

Yes, the Apollo disaster wash just that.. A tragic disaster.. :(

Raven.....that has to be one of the BEST parts of Nightsounds so far. Very good. I'm serious, you need to right a book and get it published.:) I can't wait for 13. I just don't want Nightsounds to ever stop!! *LOL*

I second that BluDevil. Keep 'em coming Raven. You are certainly very talented.