Nicked lifter...is this bad?

Dr. Jeckel

I had to change the timing chain, which broke and bent some valves. When I took the cam and lifter out I noticed one lifter had a nick in the middle of it, it is petty noticable. The cam looked pretty good but I don't want it to go south after all the time to reinstall everything. Should I just replace the lifters with new ones? If so do I still nee to use assembly lube on the cam?
I was thinking about just getting a 206/206 comp cam. The heads are going to have a 3 angle and pock porting on them.
What is the way I should go. I don't care about the extra 145 for the cam if that would be the best for reliability and my peice of mind?
Thanks, James.

Replace the lifters, a nick in the lobe face will kill the lobe.

See my recent post about intake #3 cam lobe.
A lifter/cam problem just wiped out on my poston 107T cam. I would say...yes..go ahead and spend the extra cash and get peice of mind. You don't want to have to go replacing the cam in a short period of time when you could easilly do it now.
The fact is.....if the lifter was worn wrong....then the cam was riding on that lifter for who knows how long....you know that a concaved lifter doesn't wear a cam normally so I would be suprised if the cam was 100% ok.
My advice is buy the insurance, I am goiing to go with a roller so I don't ever have to worry about a wiped lobe again.

If you hurt a lifter there is a chance you may have hurt the cam also. And although it is ok to put new lifters with a used cam, why take the chance? You have it apart so I would say it's a great oportunity to upgrade.

I ran a 206-206 comp cam for years. It is a very very nice cam. Idles very smooth. I got it to go high 10's with a PT52 turbo. With a bigger turbo and mods it will go mid 10's, and still have good street manners. How fast do you want to go? You get the best of both worlds. It runs and idles like stock, so if you don't upgrade much it won't hurt the driveability, and is enough cam to handle a lot of mods to go faster.

HTH

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just wanted to hear someone echo what I was already thinking. Should I go with stock replacement lifters from John's performance for $100 or just get the lifters from Aggressive at $49, which is where I am going to get the cam and most of my gaskets.

How fast I go at 3600ft elevation is not how fast others will go so I guess I just want some 11's. I am going to put a TH 3" DP on as well. But I still have a stock converter since I am running BFG street tires. I like the way the car runs with the stocker and the TA60 so until I want to get into suspension I will keep the setup this way. It's not a hardcore racer....just more for my pleasure and occasional LS1 woopin:D

If they are GM original type I would use them, you can't beat them.

He does have a few things that nobody else has though. I went ahead and got the cam and lifters from aggressive. I have dealt with them alot and like the service.
Thanks for the advice guys, I decided since it was all out that I was going to put new stuff back in and not take the chance.
It should get to go back together sometime this next week.
Can't wait to drive it again:)

If your doing the cam get the 212/212 comp. the 206/206 is tiny and the 212/212 is still very smaill. the 212 /212 is so sweet. my car idles like a stocker and pulls hard from off idle to 6000.

Neal

oh and buy a nice timing set since your doing it right. get a rollmaster and be done with it. dont use the tensioner when you install it.

I have heard a few people talk about unwanted problems with these types of timing chains. I was just going to buy a stock replacement with the metal cam gear, and this time put the crank gear on properly:)

what unwanted problems? the rollmaster is the best you can buy period. If your using an aftermarket cam with good valve springs I would not want a stock replacement unit for various reasons. first they are not strong enough and will stretch under the pressure of the high performance valve springs and second the timing marks on stock replacements are not as accurate as the ones on a rollmaster. Like I said before. stick with one person and go that route. you cannot build an engine by committee. I do this for a living all day everyday and would not steer you wrong. you are doing it right. buy the right parts and do it once.

Neal

Thanks, I know you wouldn't. I will order the rollermaster. That tensioner was a pain to put on anyways:)
Have a good day Neal!

I already ordered the 206/206 yesterday. I know I should've probably gone with the bigger one, but I really just wanted a stock type replacement and since I have no stall & sticky tires and it is my everyday driver with hardly any street/strip racing, I figured the 206/206 just sounded more like what I wanted.
I know the 212/212 would've given me more power but also shifting my power band up slighty as well. If I ever have to tear down the motor then I am going to go all out with it. Of sourse i hope I am about 30 or so and have another everday by then too:)
Thank you again for all your help and guidance.
I'll post up after everything is installed and going good.

James