NHRA stock cam

That was the reason, I suggested the Gallina's for a source on a "nhra stock" cam....some of those things are just about square lobed.....

And yes, Strike...I find it ironic that stock class racing is just about as expensive as it gets....

Actually, one item stock, or "less" than stock, is the cam. It is a Dut special but less lift and duration than stock.

Certainly NHRA "stock" class does not mean "showroom" stock.To be competitive or win everything on the car must take advantage of the rules and maxed for the last 0.001 of a second. The turbo Buicks are already "factored" lots compared to other makes. Very doubtful that Marka's record will affect their current 290 HP rating by NHRA.

No matter if a factored time is used or not, it applies to all competitors. Since there are specific rules that apply, what also counts is consistancy and driving ability. Makes competition and records meaningful.

Originally posted by Razor
Where is the power coming from?

I mean a 117 mph is a lot of speed out of static injectors.I've been at 112.50 on a cool 56 degree nite all stock.I can see someone else being faster..but a full second and 7 mph...what am I missing?

I'm not at all saying it cant be done...but where is the majical HP coming from?And am I to assume stock converter too?And we're I hope not talking 50 degrees outside and a downhill track :D

Nothing magical. I've personally seen a few stock turbod/injectors TR's run 113.

A TTA has the advantange of aerodynamics, better heads and a 3.27 gear that is good for 3-4 mph over a similar equipped T-R with both running 26" tires.

Run 25 psi of boost, leave with the E-brake and the Stock D5 flashing at 4K RPM and 16 psi of boost and you are good for high 1.5 60 fts if you hook.

No secret, no magic parts (I think mike did it with $20 a T108 chip, too.

You just have to not be afraid to beat the hell out of the car. Mike isn't. I try not to do that, though, so I upgraded my injectors when I was running in the 12.0/111 range.

Originally posted by UNGN

She has the current NHRA I/SA record at 11.19/119+

Since TTA89 went 11.66@117 with stock turbo, injectors, intercooler and downpipe with a stock TTA, I would guess there is at least .5 seconds and a couple mph in her NHRA "stock" trim race car, but what do I know.

AS I said earlier, I bet its less than a year before she's factored into D/SA. I/SA is silly for a TTA when poor Swede has to run H/SA with his GN :)

I saw the "TTA" in Vegas. Its not a True "TTA" but more of a GTA Turbo racecar. I think they said it weighed 3200lbs? It had No A/C and had a fender Dump pipe off the Turbo. Not exactly a street car so I can fully understand how it went 119mph. Pretty Sweet :D Does it have stock gears? I think it had DFI and 72lb injectors in it as well.

My TTA weighed around 3600 somewhere I cant find the weight of that day was running the stock downpipe then to an Open Dump on Nittos With stock everthing except Valve springs with 100K miles leaving with 14-16psi off the E-brake and went 11.82@114.88 w/1.62 on Radials, earlier in the day it went a Best of 116.50 mph on the stock turbo, IC, Injectors, DP etc etc.

I got tired of uncapping the exhaust and bought a 3inch Downpipe and 3 inch exhaust and lost mph over the open stock DP but gained some traction and went 11.77@113 still on radials. What a Kick Ass Street car that was... I shoulda never touched it.

I can't stress enough, This was Totally "Stock" just a stupid 20 dollar Thrasher 108, 110 Octane Racegas, 20-21psi and Leaving like a Mofo off the E-brake with the Convertor locked at the line.

Hmm Wonder what it woulda done with 300 less pounds, No A/C Open exhaust and more boost ?? Well looks like Ill never know..

Here is another TTA very similar to mine, actually he ran his numbers before I did. He has basically the same stuff except he went with 009s and a Reds Chip, otherwise stock like mine. 11.7@116 http://www.89tta.com/ttapicbl.htm

My goal is to run high 11 in H/SA,its what needs to bee in the
game here in sweden. But it is still a street car , and i dont wont
to destroy my -86 GN . Im the only stock turbobuick here ,and
its a fantastic car, you can drive it 3hours to the track and back.
And still win,not many stockers do that. Thanks for treads.

I'm with you swede. No need to spend a lot of money and ruin a nice car to turn it into a single purpose "race car"

The 9/11 converter is a great idea. A stock D5 would work fine , too, since a stock turbo will spool at 2200 rpm, but the 9/11 will give you the ability to do a really high boost launch without killing the car. Locking it up should give you 3 mph min over a non nock-up, especially with a stock turbo.

If I were you, I'd go bigger on the injectors to say 36# blue tops. With these, you can crank up the boost without fear of leaning out. Run a thrasher 108 chip and 24 or so psi of boost. with your 60 fts times, high 11's should be no problem.