NHRA Shortens 1/4 Mile to 1000 Feet!!

I can't help but think if the Kalitta crash happened during a 1000' race he would still be hitting that barrier way past deadly speed.

You mean there are tracks that you can race past 1/8th mile?

I think I read about those in a history book once :p

that was a tragic accident and scott lost his life but shortening the track would not have saved him as i believe he was knocked out by the concussion of the explosion and would not have been able to stop regardless of shortening one thing i have to say is he went out doing what he loved and if you have to check out ,it should be doing what you love. there are a million ways to die.

Sensible solutions would have been lowering overdrives ratio on blowers, less % of Nitro down to 50% (Geez, today that would save a BUNCH of $ in Nitro costs, believe a barrel of Nitro is over $1000 now!) Numerically lower rear gear rat1os, and others to lower speeds and raise ET! A 50 MPH reduction is just as exciting to the public, once they get used to it!

It was OK 25 years ago, why not now? I would be more worried about the GOVERNMENT sticking their nose into OUR business! Look what they did with smoking and Transfat!

Just a thought!

Scotts motor blew up near the finish line like a lot of them do if they were only running to 1000ft it would'nt have happened.Also this idea that he was knocked out by the explosion is B.S. they found skid marks from the front tires all the way up to the sand trap.Other funny cars have exploded just as bad recently and no driver got knocked out.What blew his motor was a broken intake valve which they say is the worst thing that can happen and the engine can continue to run off it's own oil in the blown cylinder.So with no downforce [no body] no chutes motor still slightly under power brakes were pretty much useless

Dang I'm runnin 7.80s now.. wait till I tell everyone on the street that I have a 7 sec street car...

I hate to say it but an extra 320 feet would not have saved Kalitta. I guess it is a good move but the extra 1.2 seconds you will pick up with 320 feet might not change a lot when all goes wrong.

mr expert up there who knows all saying it's bs he was knocked out because other guy's cars it happened to didn't. those skid marks could have already been there from somone else. didn't a diff. car go into sand there also? . did you watch the video? do you see any type of smoke after moter blew up like brakes locking up? view was pretty close to camera , i didn't notice any wheels locked up. if he was breaking that hard don't you think car might have started to skid and move around? maybe try to steer car alittle to avoid head on wreck? the car went straight into wall! he could well have been out, it was my opinion i was stating, you don't have to be an jerk when responding to what other people have to say