Newbie question

cam9457

Ryan
So last time I was at the track the guy at the registration booth asked me if I knew what time I would be running and then if I knew about NHRA cert? Then he got distracted and that was the end of the conversation. Somebody told me I'd have to install certain things if I run faster then 11.50? I'm really really close and with the heads,cam and headers that I just picked up I'm guessing I'm gonna be below 11.50's. What all do I have to do to my car if I'm below 11.50? I have a snell helmet and drive shaft safety loop already. Any help would be great

Welded in roll 6 point bar and firesuit I believe is the minimum. You may need a trans blanket as well but not sure.

It depends on how much faster than 11.50 you want to go as there are various levels with increasing number of requirements? :confused:

You can go to 11.0 and a roll bar is needed, but only a 5 point install. Other items to that level include a certified safety harness attached to the roll bar, a single layer fire jacket, and metal screw-in valve stems for all wheel with tubeless tires [actually required at 11.99].

If you want to run faster than 11.0, but only to 10.0, many other items are required. Some of these are a transmission blanket, a SFI balancer, locking trans dipstick, c-clip eliminators for the rear axles and maybe a couple item I have overlooked. :biggrin:

Many other items are needed faster than 10.0 like a NHRA competition license, NHRA certified cage, 5 layer fire suit and other clothing items, flexplate shield and few more pricey items. :D

For detailed info, the rules and classifications can be found on the NHRA web site.

Nick hit it on the head. You need to get your hands on an NHRA rulebook for all the details. I think you can get by with a 5 point rollbar and no chassis inspection if you run slower than 10.00.

I know that 9.99 and quicker require an NHRA license (got mine last summer) and a chassis inspection (getting it re-inspected May 30th).

Ok thanks guys. Not planning on going faster then 11.00 but originally I didn't plan on running quicker then high 12's.....

Ok thanks guys. Not planning on going faster then 11.00 but originally I didn't plan on running quicker then high 12's.....

It happens quickly if you can get one of these bastards figured out. Good luck!