Newbie question - replacing shifter knob

tyhardin-firstGN

1987 Grand National, this is my first GN. Shifter knob had broken, so I got an OEM from GM.

Took out the "C-Clip" and got the old one off easily. The new one doesn't seem to want to go down all the way on the column? I tried WD-40 and even some very light tapping with a rubber mallet (I know, I know...Just light tapping), but I can not seem to get the new knob all the way down to re-insert the C-Clip and get the shifter to engage.

I did some searching but couldn't find any answers that fixed the problem. Any ideas?

1987 Grand National, this is my first GN. Shifter knob had broken, so I got an OEM from GM.

Took out the "C-Clip" and got the old one off easily. The new one doesn't seem to want to go down all the way on the column? I tried WD-40 and even some very light tapping with a rubber mallet (I know, I know...Just light tapping), but I can not seem to get the new knob all the way down to re-insert the C-Clip and get the shifter to engage.

I did some searching but couldn't find any answers that fixed the problem. Any ideas?
I had the same problem a while back and if I remember right the plastic rod that come out of the chrome rod got turned around somehow. Just make sure the notch on the plastic lines up with the notch in the handle

I had the same problem with a replacement T handle. The problem was the hole in the T handle was too small. A lot of those T handles are seconds. They are dimensionally off a little. I had to open the hole slightly with an end mill.