New York Times Movie Review of 2 Fast 2 Furious

bishir

Serenity Now
This is very funny...

MOVIE REVIEW | '2 FAST 2 FURIOUS'
Classy Chassis, Unleaded Love
By A. O. SCOTT

"2 Fast 2 Furious," a new seatbelt-awareness film that opens nationwide today, features two very fine and touching performances, both of them by cars. Indeed, the movie, directed by John Singleton from a script by Michael Brandt and Derek Haas, can be seen as something of a love story, in which a pair of tricked-out Mitsubishis - a cute purple Spider convertible and a sinewy yellow Evolution - carry out a high-speed courtship as they dart and frolic along the highways of South Florida. Then, at what should be their moment of consummation, these two frisky vehicles are replaced by a pair of domestic hotrods (an orange Dodge and a blue Chevy), one of which crashes onto the deck of a yacht.

Unfortunately, all of these supremely expressive vehicles come equipped with drivers, principally a pair of crash-test dummies played by Paul Walker and Tyrese, whose low-gear dialogue makes the whine of engines sound like the highest poetry.

To make a dumb story short, the two of them, boyhood friends who have grown up to be an ex-cop (Mr. Walker) and an ex-con (Tyrese), go undercover to help a sexy customs agent (Eva Mendes) snare a drug kingpin (Cole Hauser). The kingpin is eager to hire street racers to ferry his ill-gotten gains from one place to another, perhaps because brightly painted flame-shooting cars traveling at double the speed limit are unlikely to attract the attention of law enforcement. He might have done better with Buick-driving retirees, or carrier pigeons, but that would have been a different movie.

This one is a sequel to "The Fast and The Furious," the success of which helped propel Vin Diesel to stardom. Mr. Diesel and Rob Cohen, who directed the first movie, have moved on to the "XXX" franchise, leaving their successors choking on fumes. "2 Fast 2 Furious" is among the most lethargic action movies I have ever seen: when Mr. Walker and Tyrese are not driving, it might as well be called "2 Slow 2 Tedious," since the script shows all the energy and sophistication of an old episode of TJ Hooker.

But even the racing and chasing, which is what really matters in a picture like this, is clumsy and lame, about as viscerally exciting as the masterworks of eight-millimeter instructional cinema I was forced to watch in driver ed class back in high school. The basic editing scheme suggests a how-to video on manual shifting techniques. Step 1: depress the clutch. Step 2: yank the gearshift. Step 3: grimace and shout in the ethnic slang idiom of your choice. Repeat as necessary until you crash into something or find it advisable to activate the nitrogen-powered booster rockets, now available from your dealer as part of the special doofus hotrod sport package.

Mr. Singleton, whose limitations as an action director were also on display in the remake of "Shaft," at least seems to respect the beauty of cars, and also - though respect may be precisely the wrong word - that of women. Ms. Mendes and Devon Aoki have some lines to say, and Ms. Aoki is even permitted to drive. But mostly the women, like the cars, are around to fuel adolescent male fantasies and are similarly ogled, at leeringly low angles, by the camera.

"2 Fast 2 Furious" is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned) for some adult language, some violent scenes and a flagrant indifference to the basic principles of traffic safety.

2 FAST 2 FURIOUS

Directed by John Singleton; written by Michael Brandt and Derek Haas, based on a story by Gary Scott Thompson; director of photography, Matthew F. Leonetti; edited by Bruce Cannon and Dallas Puett; music by David Arnold; production designer, Keith Brian Burns; produced by Neil H. Moritz; released by Universal Pictures. Running time: 100 minutes. This film is rated PG-13.

WITH: Paul Walker (Brian O'Connor), Tyrese (Roman Pearce), Eva Mendes (Monica Fuentes), Cole Hauser (Carter Verone), Chris (Ludacris) Bridges (Tej), James Remar (Agent Markham) and Devon Aoki (Suki).

You know, I have been thinking about this for a while now. I have come to the conclusion that we have to see the movie. Let's face it, we are car people; we love everything related to four wheels, or horsepower, with ratio's, whether it be normally aspirated or forced induction. That's what we live for, that's why we are here on this board.
Yes, we can be very critical, but aren't we always willing to listen even if it is the nonsensical rantings of a 145hp ricer?
I am sure this movie will be one big stink fest interms of plot, dialogue, automotive reality, and racing actuality. But the chicks will be hot, and the cinematography will be good.
And, the bottom line is we gotta' see the movie, even if we wait for its release on tape/ DVD, because we are car guys.

"Buick driving retiree's"..............hmmm, i'm not retired so I better sell my "T"!!!:p To bad they can't put out a movie with cars that really do rule the "REAL" streets. Oh well, probally will see it just to get some laughs. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by hot6-231
"Buick driving retiree's"..............hmmm, i'm not retired so I better sell my "T"!!!:p To bad they can't put out a movie with cars that really do rule the "REAL" streets. Oh well, probally will see it just to get some laughs. :rolleyes:

The MSNBC review actually used the word "musclecars" to describe the cars in the movie. I had to pick chunks of my breakfast out of my keyboard with a toothpick after I read that.
The fools that call the movie foolish can't even get it right.

So far, all the critics complaints so far have been about the very thing everyone sees the movie for - the car sequences. Over-edited, computer generated, totally outlandish. I have no desire to pay to see it. I'll do like I did with the original F&F - steal it when it comes on pay-per-view. Did I say steal? I meant buy ;).

Jim

Originally posted by bishir
......find it advisable to activate the nitrogen-powered booster rockets, now available from your dealer as part of the special doofus hotrod sport package.

oh yeah..... With Optional Wing ;)

The movie should have had a "Retiree" driving a GN ...

Then it would have put things in perspective...

Originally posted by aperrego
The movie should have had a "Retiree" driving a GN ...

Then it would have put things in perspective...

Nah, they would've just done something horrible to it - like run it over with a tractor-trailer. All domestics meet some horrific demise in the F&F movies. It's the only solace the ricers get - at least they can fantasize about it after every crushing defeat on the way home from the theater.

Jim

Did Joe Bob review it? :confused:

How many breasts? ;)

Can't wait for his review. :D

No way would I pay to see that crap! :eek:

Originally posted by bishir
Step 1: depress the clutch. Step 2: yank the gearshift. Repeat as necessary until you crash into something
Thats exactly how I drive...what are the odds:confused: :) Didnt the movie come out today? I wonder how many accidents are gonna happen coz of the ricers acting stupid. I know in the chi-town area its been cold and rainy all day, couldnt even get traction in a Caravan or a Neon when I was at work. Just think of all the ricers w/ their high performance stickers and clear tail lights.

Paul Walker was on Regis this morning. I just happened to catch it and he seemed like a really cool guy. He knew his sh!t about cars. He has a Skyline imported from japan pushing 900wrhp. When asked about how the sequel stands up against the first. He said he likes the racing scenes in 2 better. Because in 1 they were suppose to be racing 1/4 miles but the movie made the 1/4 mile take about 5 minutes and he didn't like that. He said a fast 1/4 mile should take about 11 secs. Pretty cool guy, straight up with his answers. I may just check the movie out.

And I saw Tyrese on another show and he talked about how the american cars were no joke.