new version of winaldl

95 Install

Finally got it installed on my 95 laptop. Had to first install the current version of MS installer. That was a chore cuz it was too big to fit on a floppy so I used a file splitter to make it possible to use 2 disks to load it on the old laptop. Once the MS installer was installed the TurboMeter installed properly.

Can't tell ya yet if it works on the car cuz have to finish another installation first - my walbro pump. Will keep ya posted.

86BGN- How difficult did you find it to wire everything up properly? I have some soldering/wiring skills, but I've never taken on something like this.

The diagram looks real easy, but I wanted to hear it from someone who's taken on this project.

Originally posted by gn85
86BGN- How difficult did you find it to wire everything up properly? I have some soldering/wiring skills, but I've never taken on something like this.

The diagram looks real easy, but I wanted to hear it from someone who's taken on this project.

It is not bad at all, I got everything from radio shack. The transistor diagram is on the back of the package they came in. the resisters are simple and the only thing that messed me up was the serial connecter, and that was my own fault for not looking at the little numbers marked on the connecter.

I used a radio shack circuit board and soldered everything to that (that was a lot easier for me to keep everything strait like the diagram) then used a dremal tool to cut the board down so it wasn’t so big. Also I soldered the ends of the wire that plug into the ALDL port to make them stronger so when they are being pushed in they don’t bend.

Anyone up and running with Win 95 yet?

Hi Jason,

Got it installed on my Win 95 laptop but it isn't working right yet. It only logs data for a short time and then quits. Seems to be having trouble with the refresh rate. My WINALDL works fine so the computer & cable are okay. Here's a copy of the data I received. This was the longest run I got. Other runs gave much less data before stopping.

http://tinyurl.com/4jrvk

86bgn u said u used a usb cable how did u do that i couldnt get mine to work on my computer it has win me it said it couldnt find serial port so i was wondering if the usb port might work

I bought a USB to serial adapter from Best Buy, not sure if you have one where you live. The company that makes the one I am using is IOGEAR and when using that with the serial cable I made everything works great. You should check the pins on the serial cable you made because I had mine turned around and kept getting the same error you are getting. The serial end should have each hole marked with a number then make sure you are looking at the right one in the diagram.

Kinda eager to try an update that might work on Win 95 that fixes the refresh problem. Maybe other issues are more important but there's probably lots of us with these old systems that would like to give the new stuff a shot.

Thanks,

Jack