New Vector (T-Type) wheels from American Racing

notstock71

I thought I would pass this info on to you Buick guys. I have been working with American Racing on the re-release of the Vector wheel which will be available in January. The Vector wheel is very similar to the factory T-Type and early GN wheels.

The new wheels will only be available in a 15x7 and 15x8.5 in GM, Ford and Mopar car bolt patters. The center windows between the spokes are available in natural cast grey or blacked out. This is a limited run on the wheels as part of American Racings 50th anniversary.

I am working a group buy from American Racing on these wheels. I have mainly been working with the General Lee crowd but they thought I should share with you guys as well. I have a list that I update and send to AR with people who are interested. Screen names are all I am using. Once the wheels come out the people I have on the list will get the info on buying direct from AR, with the discount. No money is processed through me. I am working directly with the head of vintage wheels and merchandising on this project. Cost is still being figured by the accountants. As I receive information I forward it on to the interested people.

If you are interested in being a part of this email me at leisold@tconl.com . Make sure to mention this website, screenname, quantity of wheels, size and window color.

I currently have 175 wheels on the list.

Here is the latest email from AR:

Lewis:

Good to hear from you. As of today, we expect production units to be available in January. T-shirt is underway and looks good. We are reproducing the center caps in nylon, as the originals. We probably would not use that material today. The logo will not be the original, it will say American Racing Special Edition.

I would anticipate that your group could buy by credit card direct from American Racing and we would UPS the wheels direct to them. Once the cost accountants finish analyzing the project, we can set a special price for your group, Lewis.

It is possible that we may produce the wheels sooner than the first week in January, but I won’t know for a while. We have to lab test them to our spec’s. and sometimes that requires some tweeking of the mold.

Best regards,

Steve

AR

Not to be a smart arse,,but what is the point of 15" rims,,hang out here and you can find all the Vector style rims you want ......nobody wants those ugly T Type rims on their GN....,thats why we sell them :eek: :eek:

If anyone has a cheap set of these wheels let me know. I have a few uses in mind for them besides on a car.

Thrown them through Band aid's windshield......They are the only wheels that belong on any respectable looking T TYPE.

Do you have a price range for them? It would be fun to be able to run a wider tire without the bling of a aftermarket rim. Stealth :cool:

I am still waiting for the exact available backspacing and pricing. AR is still figuring the "retail price" and then they will be able to give us our group price.

Pronto, if you are interested shoot me an email. I will add you to the list so I keep you updated. You are not committed to buying.
Lewis
leisold@tconl.com

Since its their 50th anniversary and now the automotive market has changed and there is a range of different sizes of tires available they should release a 17" - 18" version.... that would be cool. Still stock appearing [somewhat anyway] but with the performance of Newer, wider, lower profile tires.

We discussed larger versions but there is doubt there is a large enough market to justify the cost to make them. Maybe if there is enough demand for the 15's AR will make them, similar to what happened to the Torque Thrust wheel.

Why is AR using nylon for the center caps? I'm sure anybody who has experience with original center caps would be more than glad to have something better. And it would probably look the same, but not fall off every other day.

Pronto,you think like me..I need a little more rubber to the ground,but don'
t want to compromise the stealth look....70 mph rolls are scary when u end up in the next lane over..... :eek:

Damn, if they came out with 17 inch vectors id buy em up in a heartbeat.

The only reason they dont know if there is a market is they havent tested it yet. Those wheels were huge back in the day, and have a timeless look. I say look at cragar, weld, am. racing, etc selling 17 inch versions of the SS, drag lite, torque thrust and the like.

Hugely popular then, and now the bigger ones probably outsell the old design. Im not happy with much of the bigger rim choices we have, and im sure im not the only one.

Give us 17 inch vectors, Buick rallyes, 86-87 GN rims. There is a market!

BS fitment guide to 8.5" rims

These rims are 8.5" and have a b.s of 3.5 with a 28 x 10.5 slick. Take a look and even send them the pics for sizing.!
slick fitting

Vector wheels

:biggrin: Are the vector wheels out now?I would like to get a set for the sleeper look.How much are these wheels going for? :D Are they on american racing website?

They are not out yet that is the purpose of this thread to gauge interest to re make them

Norbs,
Those are exactly the type of pics I was hoping to send to AR. Now I see why 5" backspace will not work. I sent those pics to AR so hopefully this will resolve the issue for you guys. Now does anyone know what backspace is needed for a 15x8.5 in the front?

I also mentioned again the desire for larger diameters in the Vector.

FYI, I have 202 wheels for the group buy :eek: I am really surprised at how much demand there is for the wheels. Anyone else who wants in email me at:
leisold@tconl.com . Still no word on pricing.

Dice, they are not officially announced yet but should be by the time SEMA is over since AR is having them in their display. I received confirmation from American Racing back in July about them being reproduced. I have been coordinating a group buy on them since.

knucklehead said:
Thrown them through Band aid's windshield......They are the only wheels that belong on any respectable looking T TYPE.
:tongue: :tongue:
TTT
for the Duke's Of Hazard Wheels