New transmission need a little help

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i had my transmission fail on me a while back, there was some debree is the bottom of the pan. I sent it off and had it rebuilt and now its time to go back in. I cleaned the cooler lines the best i could, and ordered a aftermarket cooler so i didnt have to use the factory one since i didnt want to risk picking up debree. Is there anything else i should do to make sure everything goes good? And i also needed help putting on my convertor. I assume that i should pre fill it with some fluid, how much should i put in? Also when im putting it on is there anythign special i have to do? I watched a couple videos online showing how to install one, it looks like i just push it on and turn until it drops down twice. Thanks

THe convertor could have trash in it and kill the new trans.
I would not put a contaminated convertor back in there.
Best to get it cut open and checked IMO.
Clean trans, cleaner cooler lines, new cooler and checked freshned convertor is best when rebuilding a unit that had alot of debris/metal/trash.

Yes im getting a new convertor, how much fluid should i fill it wiht before the install?

put a quart in the convertor. it will only take a little at a time ,so wait about 15 min then add more. keep doing that until you put a whole quart in. gently slide convertor on, then rotate until it goes all the way in. it should set back about an inch from bellhousing lip when all the way in.

Ok so it should set inside the belhousing and not stick out at all right? Thanks again for all the help guys.

Ok so it should set inside the belhousing and not stick out at all right? Thanks again for all the help guys.

Yes. Make sure it is all the way engaged with the pump. Sometimes it takes awhile and several spins to get it to drop that last "click" to completely engage.

Trans Install Tips etc..:
Auto Transmission FAQ - TCI® Auto
Auto Trans "Do's" and "Dont's" - TCI® Auto

I always recommend using both the Cooler in the Rad and & External Cooler in that order.

From PATC's site:
Transmission Cooling: You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. In the case of air vs. water, there is no contest - water is way better. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point.

I would like to do this, but im afriad there is debris in the cooler in the radiator. And i have no clue how to clean that out and make sure its clean.

i've had my cooler in the rad by passed for over 10 yrs to an aux one mounted up front, never a problem!

Lol sorry im retarded i didnt even see the links. Im gonna put one of those on temporarly for sure.

I used a shopvac and vacuum sealed catch can to suck gasoline through the old cooler lines until all old trans fluid was out and gasoline ran clear. gasoline is an excellent solvent for cleaning oil-based dirty stuff. ran the set-up both ways and blew out the remaining gasoline with air hose.

catch can was made from a plastic juice bottle and retained gasoline before it could be sucked into shopvac. The set-up worked well without much effort; for instance old air hose line was pressed through plastic lid of juice bottle with 2 holes drilled in top. similar bottle lid coupled air hose to shopvac with duct tape. no fittings etc. necessary.