New To Gn World!!!!!!

Rigo's 87 GN

hey just wondering what u guys think about this aftermarket parts hooker headers, atr front mount intercooler,t-70 garret turbo, atr 3' pitbull exhaust, I just bought my GN and im looking forward to buying these parts from a friend

hey just wondering what u guys think about this aftermarket parts hooker headers, atr front mount intercooler,t-70 garret turbo, atr 3' pitbull exhaust, I just bought my GN and im looking forward to buying these parts from a friend

Sounds like old school parts:biggrin:
Those headers are not a good upgrade and the ATR F/M is out dated years ago. ATR dual exhaust was good stuff but loud :biggrin:

Sounds like old school parts:biggrin:
Those headers are not a good upgrade and the ATR F/M is out dated years ago. ATR dual exhaust was good stuff but loud :biggrin:

I agree.

I hear the ATR exhaust will run at least a 9.7. Is that really true? ;) Oh, wait that's the ATR DUAL exhaust.

well i dont really know of any good intercoolers every one i see is $169 cheap stuff hopefully you guys lead me into the right path, also u guys dindnt say nothing about the t-70 turbo, wanted to get the 9' 3500 stall converter

well my friend wants $600 for his atr fMI and it comes with the stainless steel3" piping and the blow off valve weld in the bottom and i got a couple of friends that have turbo regals and say that most front intercoolers do the same job

I sold a ATR FM last year for $150 :D
The stock location IC i posted a link to is way better than that old ATR FM:biggrin: Im just putting my 2 cents in because i thought you wanted direction on your build up from people with fast buicks?
I would keep the stock IC before id put a old ATR FM on but its your call.

I sold a ATR FM last year for $150 :D
The stock location IC i posted a link to is way better than that old ATR FM:biggrin: Im just putting my 2 cents in because i thought you wanted direction on your build up from people with fast buicks?
I would keep the stock IC before id put a old ATR FM on but its your call.

+1

Go with the PTE stock location intercooler...

And stick with stock headers for now. They've gone plenty quick in the 1/4.

Since it's your car I would build it how you want it. Yeah, you can pick up parts from a friend but I'd be selective about what parts. I'd build it with the best parts first instead of buying the same stuff over and over.

If you want really good advise I'd post goals, what's already been done, and where you'd like to make improvements to the car. People will point you in the right direction.

Before adding a big turbo I'd upgrade the fuel pump for sure and injectors and chip. Turbo tweak is a great place to start if this hasn't already been done.

That's a mighty big turbo! Hope you have the fuel setup for it! Alky wouldn't hurt either!

Here's photo proof, too!!! :biggrin:

Attachments

• stuck puppy.jpg
    stuck puppy.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 219
well all the help is much appreciated yeah that precision intercooler is sounds good but i really want a front mount intercooler they look pretty cool, as for the big turbo ill probably try it out and see what results i get if not i might trade for a smaller one. Also im looking to buy the right cam for my set up trying to built a street car that can run high 10s without taking my a/c out. Also i looking for a dual 3 inch exhaust test pipe back, on the atr i figure it was a good deal cause my friend had his receipt for $1500

well all the help is much appreciated yeah that precision intercooler is sounds good but i really want a front mount intercooler they look pretty cool, as for the big turbo ill probably try it out and see what results i get if not i might trade for a smaller one. Also im looking to buy the right cam for my set up trying to built a street car that can run high 10s without taking my a/c out. Also i looking for a dual 3 inch exhaust test pipe back, on the atr i figure it was a good deal cause my friend had his receipt for $1500

Cool try the big turbo and let us know how it goes......I prefer the bigger turbos because they look cool too. :biggrin:

You MUST!!!!!! step your fuel system up BEFORE you bolt that 70mm turbo on!! Let me repeat myself.............You MUST install a good fuel system if you go to a 70mm turbo! At a minimum a good intank fuel pump and a hot wire kit, 65lb./hr injectors, Turbo Tweak chip (matched to the injectors), adjustable fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter, visual inspection of fuel lines to verify no kinks, ect., (note: this is a 20+ year old car, and the fuel lines on EVERYONES cars need to be checked/replaced). Also, step up to ported iron heads, ported intake, 70mm throttle body, steel main caps or a girdle (my preference), forged pistons, K1 rods, and might as well use a forged crank, and a roller cam. Basically, a 70mm turbo is a HUGE step up from stock. It will also NEED a 3400rpm (min.) stall converter (such as an Art Carr 3600 9" non-lock-up.) and a trip to Dave Splett's shop (Trans Service in Lynnwood 425-774-4966) for a top of the line transmission rebuild. A good front mount intercooler or the Precision stock location unit, is also needed. I would suggest taking a ride in Dennis Hogan's brown T-Type and see what simple bolt-on parts will do for a Turbo Buick. THEN ask for a ride in his white T-Type and see what you are in for with a 70mm turbo.:eek: (some advice: wear a pair of Depends*!!!!);)
I have a question for you, though? Have you ever driven a 500hp car before? Have you taken a driving class? Have you ever run a low 11 second drag time? If you answered no to these questions, you BETTER sneak up on the power level of your car! This is NOT something to take for granted! PERIOD! It's a good way to participate in an emergency room visit (IF you are lucky!!). 500+ hp in nothing to take lightly! The new 'Vettes have traction control computers, so the inexperienced can drive them. With out that little box, most of the new Vettes would end up on a flatbed on the way to a junk yard (sorry Gene.......a "Wrecking Yard"!!;) ) (Gene and myself grew up in wrecking yards. Our Dad's owned them, and, at least MY Dad was always correcting people when they would say: "You own that JUNK YARD?":mad: Slowly step up your power levels so you don't get yourself in trouble. Best advice I can give you. I don't want to see another Turbo Buick on a flat bed going to a "wrecking yard". (I don't don't care if YOU end up in the morgue, but I hate to hear about a GN dying.;) ) (just kidding of course) Stay safe. On that note, also step your brakes up too. BEFORE you put 500hp under the hood. Accelerating is optional, stopping is manditory!! The brakes on a GN are HORRIBLE, and that is an understatement! Funny how everyone will always tell you what hot rod parts to buy, but never mention brakes. The first time you step on the brake pedal at 100+mph and the car keeps accelerating (it'll seem that way in this situation) you will be buying a BIG set of brakes IF you make it home. (and a new drivers seat cover;) ) OK, add to your list a COMPLETE suspension rebuild. Start at the front end. Lots of options, but even stock bushings will help, with KYB shocks, or better yet Bilsteins, or Koni's. Then aftermarket rear control arms and a good BIG rear sway bar. Add to that U-joints for your driveline and a NHRA safety loop, too.
It gets REAL expensive when you buy a 20 yr. old car that you plan on pumping 500+hp. through. Hope you have a good job, no, wait,..... a GREAT job.:biggrin: Good luck. Before you buy ANYTHING, ask on here FIRST!! We can save you TONS of money. Just between Gene, and myself you are talking about nearly 40 years of Turbo Buick experience. WE have bought ALL the wrong parts so you won't have to. There are also alot of other knowlegable folks on here, too.

Ken, you forgot something...

:biggrin: a Scanmaster! I think you're losing it ;) !
Seriously Rigo, get a scan tool of some kind FIRST. Better yet, do a compression check on your car along with the "spring cleaning" list from the other board (can someone help with a link?). A Scanmaster at the bare minimum. It will provide you with lots of basic info and they are only a couple hundred$. If you are looking at throwing big $$ at your car (front mount, 70mm turbo, etc,) you should get a scan tool first. If you just bought your car then the spring cleaning and compression check may uncover some other things you NEED to spend money on before going big on the turbo and intercooler. My car had issues when I bought it, even though it ran fine and seemed fast. A scan tool might have saved me some ca$h...
BTW Rigo, where are you located? -Steve

:biggrin: a Scanmaster! I think you're losing it ;) !
-Steve

Yep, forgot that one. My dimentia is starting. Uhhmmmmm........... What were we talking about? ............. Oh ya, the Mariners are a hockey team from Bellingham, and if you use a big turbo, you'll need to.......... HEY! is that Mickey Mouse? Hang on I gotta go peee!:biggrin:

finally!!!! thanks! turbofabricator and dynalow00 those where the answers i was looking for:D well let me tell u guys a lil bit more of my plans. i just picked up my car, engine was running but tranny is shot a close friend of my got a lot of experience in gn his selling his gn so he put it back to stock and his selling me his old parts which include that atr intercooler, t-70, td 1.65 rockers, hooker headers, kenne beel pressure regulator, kenne bell throttle 70mm, atr 3 downpipe with wastegate, atr dual exhaust, 9' 3500 stall converter, and other lil things his giving me a grate price plus his taking payments so is much easier. My friend has been racing for the last 20 years so is someone that i really trust. the block is going to be sent to the machine shop that normally does his race engines. is going to get bored,deck,ring, crank and rods are getting heat treated, je pistons, stud girdle so it should be pretty safe! heads and intake are going to get ported, bigger valves, im probably going to go with 55 lb injectors seen he told me not to go higher with stock computer fuel pumps were not sure so i would appreciate any advise u guys have im located in los angeles, CA i need to find a good shop to build that tranny im trying to build a fassstt street car that can go low 11s
car is currently receiving some body work and is not far from visiting the paint booth, gn interior needs work but is doable! Now to answer ur question turbofabricator i gave never driven a 500+ hp car so im pretty sure im going to respect it at first but as the owner i should find a way master the beast!! Thanks!! for the help:biggrin:

finally!!!! thanks! turbofabricator and dynalow00 those where the answers i was looking for:D well let me tell u guys a lil bit more of my plans. i just picked up my car, engine was running but tranny is shot a close friend of my got a lot of experience in gn his selling his gn so he put it back to stock and his selling me his old parts which include that

atr intercooler
I would pass on this.
Thats a serious turbo that has 9 second potential. Requires a nice trans, and a lot of other supporting mods.
td 1.65 rockers
Will not work with the stock valve covers. But a decent mod.
hooker headers
Leave those alone. Stock headers, if leak free, are good for 10's.
kenne beel pressure regulator
You will eventually need this, buy it.
kenne bell throttle 70mm
Not needed for the ten's, but a cool looking piece. It sure adds to the bling factor.
atr 3 downpipe with wastegate, atr dual exhaust
Two good pieces there. I would pick both of them up.
9' 3500 stall converter
Probably work decent with the 70, but you will need to put some $$$ into the trans to handle 10's.
and other lil things his giving me a grate price plus his taking payments so is much easier. My friend has been racing for the last 20 years so is someone that i really trust. the block is going to be sent to the machine shop that normally does his race engines. is going to get bored,deck,ring, crank and rods are getting heat treated, je pistons, stud girdle so it should be pretty safe!
I'd suggest looking into a forged crank. They can be had for around $750. Also, make sure your machine shop is capable of working on the Buick V6. The girdle just doesn't get bolted up.
heads and intake are going to get ported, bigger valves,
Good stuff there.
im probably going to go with 55 lb injectors seen he told me not to go higher with stock computer fuel pumps were not sure so i would appreciate any advise u guys have im located in los angeles, CA i need to find a good shop to build that tranny im trying to build a fassstt street car that can go low 11s

55's are not big enough for the 70. You can get modded ecm's to handle bigger injectors.
car is currently receiving some body work and is not far from visiting the paint booth, gn interior needs work but is doable! Now to answer ur question turbofabricator i gave never driven a 500+ hp car so im pretty sure im going to respect it at first but as the owner i should find a way master the beast!! Thanks!! for the help:biggrin:

Good luck!