New to Forum Looking For Build Advice....

DMM

Hello all. I just picked up an '87 Regal T-Type that needs some work and TLC. I have been waiting for a while and found one at the right price but needs quite a bit of work, especially since it has been sitting outside for the last few years.

I am not new to cars by any means, I am a former ASE and GM Master Tech (specialized in Corvette, Camaro, and diesel platforms) and have grown somewhat bored with modding my CTS-V. Anyhow, enough about me, on with the car!

I think the engine has a wiped cam lobe from the description (have not seen it, I am in Iraq for another month and a half and had my father buy it for me sight unseen) but I would probably want to get a new cam in there anyhow. So, here is what I was thinking:

- Comp 206/206 cam kit with springs and roller T-chain (is a roller really worth it?)
- TT chip and 60 lb injectors with scanmaster
- Adjustable FPR
- Dual Walboro 255's (second one is boost referenced...does the return have to be upgraded for this? Or can I run a single pump and be ok?)
- 3" downpipe (has aftermarket exhaust already)
- Ported OE heads and lower intake
- Precision 70mm T-body and plenum (does the RJC Power Plate work? Recommended?)
- PTE 5831 Billet turbo (supposed to be the upgrade of the TE44)
- Aftermarket stock location intercooler (any specific suggestions?)
- Meth Injection (of course!)
- 10.5" 2800 - 3000 stall converter with fresh rebuild of the trans. (at what point do you need the billet input shaft and forward drum?)

I plan on doing this in stages and would ultimately like to shoot for low 11's or high 10's if possible. If not, what would you suggest? I would like to retain drivability to the fullest extent possible, meaning no overheating or overly radical cam.

Also, I have access to an '84 with hydraboost...is this recommended over vacuum assist brake upgrade?

I am very much looking forward to tearing into this when I return home, any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to the board. Looks like you have the beginnings of a decent recipe. You won't need dual fuel pumps. A single is fine, as long as it's hot wired. With that much stall, you could go with a 6262 billet wheel turbo. Your goal is low 11's but you can grow into that turbo and it'll take you into the 10's if you want. Do lots of reading. Much to learn about these cars and if you get it wrong, pop goes the head gaskets (or worse).

I run the factory powermaster brakes. Some like vacuum, and some like hydraboost. Everyone will have an opinion on that one. Get yourself a boost gauge, and minimally a scan master. I like the powerlogger myself, but I also run with a laptop with me.

You don't need the 70mm throttle body, if you want you can port the stock tb at throttlebodies.com, good guy, does great work. RJC plate works great and is recommended universally. For the aftermarket intercooler use the pte stock location cooler.

Ok, thanks guy's! Will the 6262 be too much for my goals? Or, is the 5831 right on the borderline for my goals? Reason I ask is that I would rather have better drivability on the street than a lower ET. But, if there are no major drawbacks or concerns otherwise, i'm game. Just out of curiosity, has anyone messed with the Comp oil-less turbo's? Lot's of guys running them on LS motors and they get insanely fast spool even with turbo's a tad oversized. Just figured i'd throw that question out there.

Also, I have a 2001 4L80E with less than 50k miles in the garage that was never used for another project, thinking about getting a converter for that and using a GM truck/van stand alone controller (I can tune it with the tuning program I already have so I can play with shift point, pressure's, etc.) rather than building the 200R4.

Thanks everyone!

Based on recommendations here and other advice I went with a 206/210 hyd roller and the 6262. Its a street car, very little if any real track time and no real drawbacks with it.

I went with TCI's 6x which is a 4l80e modified to have 2 extra gears. Its a great combo. TCI has the controller for the 4l80e. You can also get the paddle shifters for it. You do need a new crossmember, drive shaft, adapter plate, converter and have to modify/fab the shifter bracket. Also you need to get an electronic speedo. Its not the cheapest conversion but it fits with no tunnel mods.

I would recommend using a 9 inch converter instead of the 10.5 The motors and turbos like them a lot. PTC makes a 9 inch 3000 stall with OD for a good price on whichever trans you use. A 4L80 will work well with your combo and will have good street manners. For porting and polishing you can check out Extrude Hone they may be cheaper than having someone do it. Its the wait time that might drive you nuts on that. Good luck.

Welcome to the board...

All reads good, you could enlarge the valves in the OE heads while your in them..
On the Intercooler you want a stretched large mouth stock location (SLMSL)
Don't forget to tighten up the Read End if it's never been touched...8^)
Enjoy!

As a fellow ASE master I will tell you thses cars will frustrait you as well as confuse you. It's an antique system and one of the first SFI so it doesn't work exactly like the newer systems you're used to. They're fairly easy to modify but you will need to understand as much about it as possible to make sure you don't blow it up. Welcome aboard and you picked the right place to start your research.:)