New to Amps/Subs....Gotta Wiring Question.

TurboChris87

NCSU Go Pack!
I have purchased this amp . Anyhow, as for the speaker wiring. The front two outputs run to both front speakers. My question is about the rear speakers sharing amp outputs with the subs. Got two Xplod 10's. I don't want the system to really boom... I want complete sound. It is tri-way compatable. Should I just do the tri-way thing? If not, can I parallel wire the two 10's and the rear 6X9's to the same output? Thanks for listening, they say the best way to learn is to ask, and I'd rather embarrass myself with a simple question than catch my trunk on fire!!!!

Originally posted by TurboChris87
can I parallel wire the two 10's and the rear 6X9's to the same output?

That would not be a good idea at all :eek: . If you have the subs playing up to 100 htz (common cross-over frequency) then your 6 x 9s will be playing the same frequency and that is not what they are designed for. The 6 x 9s are a full range speaker and the subs are a low range speaker (bass).

You could run both pairs at full range but will make your subs sound muddy. They need to have their own seperate cross-over frequencies and seperate amps/deck power.

I would either run the front and rear drivers with deck power and use the XM-754 SX for the subs or get a 6 channel amp to run entire system.

Power the front speakers with 2 channels and the subs with the other 2. use the radio's power for the 6x9's. You need to build a front stage.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
Power the front speakers with 2 channels and the subs with the other 2. use the radio's power for the 6x9's.

Thats funny!! I was thinking about that option after I posted the reply :D .

Originally posted by GNandTTA
Power the front speakers with 2 channels and the subs with the other 2. use the radio's power for the 6x9's. You need to build a front stage.

I thought of that, but I didn't know if I could do that because I'm using a HU from a 2000 SS. I have two line out converters for the amp. Can I still use the line out for the rear signal, and keep the 6X9's hooked up?

Originally posted by TurboChris87
Can I still use the line out for the rear signal, and keep the 6X9's hooked up?

It wouldnt be a good idea because of what I stated in my previous post, it would work better if you had deck power to power them. Your 6 x 9s wont be able to handle the bass output with the subs and your subs would sound "muddy" playing full range with 6 x 9s. Its your stuff and you can do what you want to with it but the 6 x 9s need their own amp/ x-over frequency just the same as the subwoofers.

If this was my system or a customers system, I would not hook it up the way that you are wanting to do with your current set-up. Just my .03 cents again :cool: