New times with new combo...few ???'s

KevinB

Just got back from the track. I ran a 11.51@116 with a 1.61 60'. I am very happy with this considering my combo. Heres what I have. Stock block, heads, cam, and intake. Intake and heads have never been off. PT54, 65# injectors, Joe Lub. race chip, THDP, RJC plate, 3500 stall 9" L/U, and an old school intercooler and a half. I ran this with 29-30# boost, zero knock and O2's in the high 790 to low 800's.
The torque converter was not locking up. According to DS, the chip must not be programmed to do so. The TCC light never came on. With this chip on the street, the TQ locks great. At the track at WOT, nothing. Should I get another chip, or get a switch and do it manually?? The transmission shifts at 5400 and starts next gear at 4800. At the end of the traps, it is spinning at around 5800. With the TQ locking up, would this improve my time at all? I also know the stock cam at this point is my weak point, but how much is it hurting me revving the motor to 5400??
Thanks for any suggestions.

PS...Just got my tranny rebuilt by Lonnie Diers. He is the man
:cool:

Manual switch is cheap and easy to implement and test at the track.

I'd start there. :cool:

Nice time slip. Looks like you have a great combo there. Don't it feel good when it all comes together.

I lock my converter with 2 wires for right now. Just short the two top end connecters on the diagnostic connector.

I only lock it driving on the HWY. I am going to try to lock it next trip to the drags.

Originally posted by KevinB
Just got back from the track. I ran a 11.51@116 with a 1.61 60'. I am very happy with this considering my combo. Heres what I have. Stock block, heads, cam, and intake. Intake and heads have never been off. PT54, 65# injectors, Joe Lub. race chip, THDP, RJC plate, 3500 stall 9" L/U, and an old school intercooler and a half. I ran this with 29-30# boost, zero knock and O2's in the high 790 to low 800's.
The torque converter was not locking up. According to DS, the chip must not be programmed to do so. The TCC light never came on. With this chip on the street, the TQ locks great. At the track at WOT, nothing. Should I get another chip, or get a switch and do it manually?? The transmission shifts at 5400 and starts next gear at 4800. At the end of the traps, it is spinning at around 5800. With the TQ locking up, would this improve my time at all? I also know the stock cam at this point is my weak point, but how much is it hurting me revving the motor to 5400??
Thanks for any suggestions.

PS...Just got my tranny rebuilt by Lonnie Diers. He is the man
:cool:

With the stock heads and cam you definately want to be locking up the converter. At 5400+ rpm the power is falling off very quickly. Lock the converter after you go into 3rd gear and you'll like the results.

Jim

that is a good time

Yes I would say you can pick up some MPH definitely by locking up the convertor.. Boosted LC2 I am way impressed with you #'s too!!! A 10.49 I know that the 75's an the te-45 will support this # but are you saying you are doing it with stk internals ?? Surely you have heads an cam? don't you? Regardless man nice #'s for no more then you have..

Re: that is a good time

Originally posted by RUQWKNF27
Yes I would say you can pick up some MPH definitely by locking up the convertor.. Boosted LC2 I am way impressed with you #'s too!!! A 10.49 I know that the 75's an the te-45 will support this # but are you saying you are doing it with stk internals ?? Surely you have heads an cam? don't you? Regardless man nice #'s for no more then you have..

Thanks - Yes, stock internals. Its the original factory motor that's never been opened up.

Jim

Thanks for the info and complimants. Yes, it does feel great when everything works the way it is supposed to. LC2, where do you shift your car? I was thinking of manually shifting mine next time at around 5000. Locking the TQ will also happen. Also, what are your 60's? Mine need a little more work, but I am making progress. Went from a 1.9 last year to a 1.6 this year thanks to a new converter. I want to squeeze the most out of this combo before I change the heads and cam. Only problem is my track is strict on rules, so any faster and a cage must be installed:mad: I'll let you all know the results next week. Looking to get booted out of the track, hopefully I'll have to drive home with the big "C" on my window :cool:
Kevin

PS.
I don't think my stock internals are at too much of a risk. My tune is usually at zero knock and running on the rich side.

Our combos are real similar. My car runs best locking the converter on the line with a switch. If you are making enough power to not lug the motor when the converter locks on the 1-2 shift, it should ET better. I would recommend 28" slicks also. This will help on the trap RPMs. More than likely it will help your short times, too. I'm running about 5200 at the finish line. You will more than likely have to make the 2-3 shift manually if you lock the converter on the line, or the trans will short shift. I shift at 52-5300. Stock cam is done after that.

Joe's race chips do not have conv lockup at WOT...so just setup a switch to do it manually...you'll have to experiment where the best place to hit the switch is...in my case I like it at around 80 MPH...can usually get 2-3 MPH more in the 1/4 when locking it...

Thanks again all. Right now I am using 26x10 M/T's. Problem is that these tire are still somewhat new, they worked good when I was in the 12's. This Friday a friend of mine is going to let me try some 30" Goodyears (if they fit.) They might be too big, we'll see :)

Originally posted by KevinB
Thanks for the info and complimants. Yes, it does feel great when everything works the way it is supposed to. LC2, where do you shift your car? I was thinking of manually shifting mine next time at around 5000. Locking the TQ will also happen. Also, what are your 60's? Mine need a little more work, but I am making progress. Went from a 1.9 last year to a 1.6 this year thanks to a new converter. I want to squeeze the most out of this combo before I change the heads and cam. Only problem is my track is strict on rules, so any faster and a cage must be installed:mad: I'll let you all know the results next week. Looking to get booted out of the track, hopefully I'll have to drive home with the big "C" on my window :cool:
Kevin

PS.
I don't think my stock internals are at too much of a risk. My tune is usually at zero knock and running on the rich side.

I launch the car in 2nd gear and let it shift automatically 1-2 (about 5400). I believe there is more line pressure when the trans is in 2nd gear so you get a good firm shift. I then shift manually 2-3 around 5300 rpm. I don't lock the converter at the line since I'm concerned about the durability of the stock trans when shifted with the converter locked.

Sixty foot times are generally in the low to mid 50's although I have been high 40's.

HTH,

Jim

Not to sound like a total retard, but I'm confused..

You put the car into 2, Stall up, Launch, then click it back down to 1, the re-shift into 2, or you just leave it in 2nd the whole time, and punch it up to third?

Sorry if thats a retarded ass question :D

Not sure what you mean by "let it shift automatically from 1-2" if the car is in second.

Will

Will--Place the selector in 2nd and the trans will start in 1st ( sans manual valve body ). The trans will shift 1-2 on its own, but you will have to manualy shift for 2-3. There is more line pressure when the selector is placed in 1st or 2nd. I personaly start in 1st and manual shift 1-2 as this is easier on the sprag. Brian