New Tie Rods rubbing the frame

pjnutt

Hey, I put all new front suspension components on the car about 4 months ago. This past weekend, when going to turn, it would catch about 1/4 way back into my turn. Crawled under the car and the tie rod is rubbing the frame. Anyone have any idea what gives? Everything seems tight still. I crawled under another gn, stock tie rods, they looked bigger. I bought the MOOG rebuild kit from a vendor here on the board, so I doubt the parts are wrong:
G-Body Front Suspension Rebuild Kit

I did have a front end alignment done at Belle Tire here locally, I think I'm headed back there on Monday.

Thanks for any input!

Still there

I posted this a couple years back. I never addressed the issue, I had the motor out and rebuilt, complete with new motor mounts. I hoped that this issue would go away, instead, now I get rub on both the drivers and passengers side, with the passenger side being way worse. Nothing like trying to make a left hand turn and having to use all your force to get the wheel past a bind and then back again, can't be very safe either. Anyone have any input?

I posted this a couple years back. I never addressed the issue, I had the motor out and rebuilt, complete with new motor mounts. I hoped that this issue would go away, instead, now I get rub on both the drivers and passengers side, with the passenger side being way worse. Nothing like trying to make a left hand turn and having to use all your force to get the wheel past a bind and then back again, can't be very safe either. Anyone have any input?

Can you post a couple of pictures? It may be that something isn't assembled correctly. Or one of the parts is incorrect.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Will do

I will jack it up when I get home tonight and post some pictures.

Thanks for the reply!

I bet the center link is upside-down, or on backwards.

If it's not, you've got a serious bend somewhere.

Post some pics.

How do you install teh center link upside down?... the tapers allow installation only one way.

the only thing that comes to mind is the tie-rod sleves.. if the clamps are facing upward or not with the clamp side straight down you will get interference.

Here's the pics

2010Aug18_0309.jpg

2010Aug18_0311.jpg

2010Aug18_0310.jpg

2010Aug18_0308.jpg

2010Aug18_0307.jpg

2010Aug18_0307.jpg

2010Aug18_0305.jpg

Let me know if you can see them. I am using photobucket, I think this is the process for getting them posted on a forum.

Thanks for the help guys, worried about being able to Dream cruise this weekend ;)

is the tie rod sleve whats hitting?

unless you got the wrong centerlink (or its not bent right)

try to loosen the idler arm and pry it forward and retighten

Not sure what's hitting

I just crawled under there and had the wife rock it back and forth. I don't see anything hitting the frame, but I can hear metal on metal somewhere, something is binding.....

Could be

The tops of the bolts were in rough shape, definitely been grinding down. Took em out, hit em with the bench grinder, reinstalled, time for a test drive.

How did you know to look there? Personal experience?

I hope this takes care of it :D

It looks like the pitman arm to center link nut might not be tight (pretty big gap)
Do you have stock spindles? The outer tie rods and adjusters look to be very close to the A-arms compared to my car, as if the steering arms are short. Could be just an optical conclusion. (too much Bowery Boys lately). :biggrin:

OBviously its not the tie-rod sleves....

The sway-bar end links may be too long if the car is lowered and the sway bar may be rubbing against the frame.

The center link looks odd, like its not straight.

Look far contact marks on the metal surfaces.

Is that the grease zert rubbing the frame? Do you have an outer tie rod installed where the inners should be?
Zerts for the inners would be on the side of the tie rod and the outers would have them in the center of the tie rod (grease zert pointing straight down).

As mentioned, [5th picture], the s/b link bolts are getting knocked off. Turn the bolts around, and put the nuts on the bottom???

Note that the idler arm needs a grease fitting. Red circle at the top of the picture.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Attachments

• IdlerArm.jpg
    IdlerArm.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 174