New the GN family

marauder21

Hey everyone! I'm fairly new to this forum but hopefully in time I will gather more information about the Grand National as well as the people in here.
That being said, my name is junior, I'm only 19 years old lol, I do own a mercury marauder, and I'm located in Chicago, IL. But No I do not have a GN just yet, but I'm looking around, waiting for the perfect GN to come to my life lol.

Well I just have a few questions to you Grand National owners, is the maintenance expensive on these vehicles, how about insurance, what are some things I should look out for when purchasing a grand national?
I did find this one grand national on Craigslist and what do you guys think about it? Thank you guys in advance!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/4382140446.html

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hello, and i hope u do find the right one,
I hope u dont have a wife or girlfriend cause once u do find the right on, that woman will be jealous as hell :)
Anyways, as far as maintenence, if u find that right one, and if u doing all the work, it's not expensive at all ur mercury will cost more to maintain.....parts are very cheap when compared to any of today's cars, this site will guide you to all proper parts to get, as far as insurance goes, haaaaa, i have classic insurance on mines and i pay $235 a year for full coverage, and i live in the brooklyn New York City where rates are skyrocket high as hell!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the sight and i really hope u get to be an owner of this awsome classic vehicle... It will be life altering, lol

87 grand national
60 psi mototron injectors
V 5.7 tt chip
Accufab fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hotwire kit
160 stat.
T04b turbo
K&N cone air filter
Dual radiator fans
Hooker exhaust
Scanmaster

Hello, and i hope u do find the right one,
I hope u dont have a wife or girlfriend cause once u do find the right on, that woman will be jealous as hell :)
Anyways, as far as maintenence, if u find that right one, and if u doing all the work, it's not expensive at all ur mercury will cost more to maintain.....parts are very cheap when compared to any of today's cars, this site will guide you to all proper parts to get, as far as insurance goes, haaaaa, i have classic insurance on mines and i pay $235 a year for full coverage, and i live in the brooklyn New York City where rates are skyrocket high as hell!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the sight and i really hope u get to be an owner of this awsome classic vehicle... It will be life altering, lol

87 grand national
V 5.7 tt chip
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hotwire kit
160 stat.
T04b turbo
K&N cone air filter
Dual radiator fans
Hooker exhaust
Scanmaster

Lol! That's one reason why I'm looking for a grand national, I have no girlfriend much less a wife therefore I'm free to wonder off with a lady named GN. Lol
And I heard the parts for these vehicles are cheap so that's another reason why I don't mind owning a GN..so I'm expecting insurance to be not too expensive so I think I'm good. Now the problem is...finding a decent GN, these vehicles are hard to come by:/

You guys think this is a good deal? The owner wants $5900 has about 88,500 miles. It's an 1986. He claims that the only thing need major fixing is a battery, interior cleaning, and tuneup. But what do you guys think? Yay or Nay?
Or should I hold off for another one?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395423221624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395423221624.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 162
More pictures...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395423375095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395423375095.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 149
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395423389469.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395423389469.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 154
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395423404834.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395423404834.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 151
You probably need more pics and maybe go see it if possible.
From the info given the price looks correct, but who know what you will find out about it.

For 6000 is a steal and usually to good to be true, that being said u would really want to overlook the car personally, like see how it starts up, idleing, pull dipstick smell oil (for burning or gas smell) probably would be dirty, check tranny fluid oil (should be red and not dark red or black),look under car check for any oil leaks or floor pan corrosion,also see if he lets u or let him take it for a drive with u in it ,for a good 10 to 15 minutes, feel if front end needs work, any noises coming from motor, also open the trunk and see if the RPO sticker is under the trunk lid, this is usually to tell the authentication of the car, floor it a few times, see how it pulls, check if transmission shifting is good,
This is just off the back of my head, i say if all that checks out or close to it your probably looking at a decent project car.....

87 grand national
V 5.7 tt chip
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hotwire kit
160 stat.
T04b turbo
K&N cone air filter
Dual radiator fans
Hooker exhaust
Scanmaster

Oh and see if he has original rims still. Yuk to those he got on

87 grand national
V 5.7 tt chip
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hotwire kit
160 stat.
T04b turbo
K&N cone air filter
Dual radiator fans
Hooker exhaust
Scanmaster

I asked the owner if he could provide with more pictures but he said all the pictures he had were on the ad.
But thank you warlord! That's definitely what I'm going to check. And RPO is located underneath the trunk lid? Anything else I should know about the Grand National?
Hopefully today after 530 I'm gonna go check it out. Thanks in advance guys!

Yes when u open trunk look right under trunk lid it should be a white rectangular sticker with a whole bunch of numbers on it, if u want take A pic and ill see if i can identify if its a legit 86 nash, as far as more to know what to look for, all i can say is that make sure ur looking at her like its ur first true love,

87 grand national
V 5.7 tt chip
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hotwire kit
160 stat.
T04b turbo
K&N cone air filter
Dual radiator fans
Hooker exhaust
Scanmaster

I asked the owner if he could provide with more pictures but he said all the pictures he had were on the ad.
But thank you warlord! That's definitely what I'm going to check. And RPO is located underneath the trunk lid? Anything else I should know about the Grand National?
Hopefully today after 530 I'm gonna go check it out. Thanks in advance guys!

Sounds like a scam!
Look in cars for sale sect. There's one for 7k or so.

That's a VERY good price,just make sure is the real thing,also remember your going to need to do upgrades and a lot of tune up and oil leak fix.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm skeptical about it but we'll see lol told the guy to meet up today around 530 so we'll see.. I'm hoping I could get it for lower than the asking price that way I'd have money to repair anything that comes up in the future. Gotta make sure it's the real deal though

Are grand nationals known to be problematic? Like do they leak a lot or no? I mean is there a common problem with them or something you know? Just trying to learn more about the vehicle I lust and dream about lol

its worth it to get a car that is done right and you paid more. I like the idea I get to drive mine anytime I want and not have to worry about it.
Luckily I bought mine from a reputable TR person.
But, I know budgets are different from person to person...

Lol I'm tying I'm trying^^^

But yeah, I'm gonna check this one today if I feel like it doesn't need too much fixing I'm probably gonna jump on it. If not I'll continue saving up get close to a good 15 grand and start looking for a really good clean GN. Thanks guys! I really do appreciate it!

This forum doesn't have a "For Sale" thread right? Lol i mean I don't think you guys would like to let go of your Grand Nationals huh?

if you are going to look at it, take someone with you that knows these cars.

for a car known for its engine, there are no underhood pics....?

get a carfax.

for that mileage, if its not a rusted out hulk and has a powertrain in decent shape its a very good deal, perhaps too good to be true.....

so take someone with you that knows these cars, seriously.

Bob