New T-type what to do

turbotest

I just became the owner of an 84 t-type yesterday, all original 95k miles. Now i've dealt with g-bodies for a while now (had 3 Olds at one time, down to 2 now), but never with turbo buicks. The car is all black, original wheels, bucket/console interior, digital dash, concert II sound system (gone now), POSI and factory alarm??
Anyway it idles rough, the trans kind of slips into third gear, it kinda feels like something is holding back the engine when at WOT (strange noises), so I've kept my foot out of it.
I've read the spring cleaning article and will be doing all those things this coming weekend but I am still lost on how i can tune this engine to run like its supposed to(read scantool),
and last question is, can this thing be a low 13 car while staying hot air?
My other 2 cars are an 81 Olds Cutlass with a 350(olds)/2004r/3.73 8.5", and an 84 sedan with a v6/th350/2.41.
Thanks!!

I just became the owner of an 84 t-type yesterday, all original 95k miles. Now i've dealt with g-bodies for a while now (had 3 Olds at one time, down to 2 now), but never with turbo buicks. The car is all black, original wheels, bucket/console interior, digital dash, concert II sound system (gone now), POSI and factory alarm??
Anyway it idles rough, the trans kind of slips into third gear, it kinda feels like something is holding back the engine when at WOT (strange noises), so I've kept my foot out of it.
I've read the spring cleaning article and will be doing all those things this coming weekend but I am still lost on how i can tune this engine to run like its supposed to(read scantool),
and last question is, can this thing be a low 13 car while staying hot air?
My other 2 cars are an 81 Olds Cutlass with a 350(olds)/2004r/3.73 8.5", and an 84 sedan with a v6/th350/2.41.
Thanks!!

welcome bud! i am not too familiar with hot airs but i would imagine that what im gonna say will not be very different from my 86 so...first thing u want to do is the spring cleaning like u stated to make sure all is well. then its time to address the issues. do u have some sort of scantool, like a scanmaster? if not it would be a could idea to get one because it is good for troubleshooting and also some tuning!

for the rough idle, if it is not fixed by the spring cleaning u can do other things like check all vacuum hoses for leaks, remove and clean IAC valve and bore under the throttle body. if u have a scantool post some numbers at idle for us:) the rough idle could also be caused by an out of date or factory chip in the car. i would strongly rec. a turbotweak chip for ur car! it will improve idle characteristics, better timing tables for modern gasoline, and it is adjustable(but u do not need to adjust, good out of the box)!

the chip can also help with the lack of power at WOT. it could be detonation especially if u r hearing strange noises! does it sound like marbles in the engine or a hammer tapping against metal? the scanmaster will tell u if thats the case.

hope this helps some:smile: