new scanmaster numbers

Don't get discouraged. It's lots of work and tons of reading and studing but in the end it will be worth all the blood, sweat, and tears. Just do one issue at a time. One day you will know every bolt on the car.:D

I believe that a small header crack would pull air into the exhaust stream and cause the BL to go above 128 as the ECM would add fuel to compensate for a lean condition. Exhaust leaks also cause no boost or low boost conditions and you are boosting just fine. Your Scanmaster numbers show that the Ecm is pulling fuel to compensate for an extremely rich condition.. So at this point the header crack should not be your main focus but will need to be adressed eventually.

I believe that a small header crack would pull air into the exhaust stream and cause the BL to go above 128 as the ECM would add fuel to compensate for a lean condition. Exhaust leaks also cause no boost or low boost conditions and you are boosting just fine. Your Scanmaster numbers show that the Ecm is pulling fuel to compensate for an extremely rich condition.. So at this point the header crack should not be your main focus but will need to be adressed eventually.

Don't get discouraged. It's lots of work and tons of reading and studing but in the end it will be worth all the blood, sweat, and tears. Just do one issue at a time. One day you will know every bolt on the car.:D

This is great advise. Took me 5 years to reach that point...

Poor man's advice... take a large socket and with the vacuum line removed and a fuel pressure gauge on, tap down on the socket on top of the regulator until you get to 43 psi... don't go over because there is no going back :)

Then go pick up a reman MAF (flame suit on) from Autozone, etc. If it reads around 255 at WOT then it's fine. TurboLou (google or search the name here) at a tech session last year said he had been using the Cardone remans with little problems, and he has worked on these cars longer than most. Get a 160 thermostat in that thing ASAP.

Where are you located ? Might post up in the forum for you location and find some local guys, many are willing to give a helping hand, and might loan you a MAF, etc.

Poor man's advice... take a large socket and with the vacuum line removed and a fuel pressure gauge on, tap down on the socket on top of the regulator until you get to 43 psi... don't go over because there is no going back :)

This isn't the method I would recommend,but I wouldn't be opposed to squeezing the regulator with a large pair of adjustable pliers as a way of adjusting fuel pressure. However he doesn't need his pressure adjusted,It is exactly as it should be with the stock chip.

Its OK if you don't recommend it, guys on the East Coast were doing it this way in the 80's, before most here even knew what a TR was. Actually have a video on it, they too were running a stock chip.

Its OK if you don't recommend it, guys on the East Coast were doing it this way in the 80's, before most here even knew what a TR was. Actually have a video on it, they too were running a stock chip.

What I don't recommend is the method you described to adjust the pressure. I don't have a problem with compressing the body of the stock fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure,but I think some adjustable pliers would be more gentle and provide more control over the adjustment procedure. As far as increasing fuel pressure is concerned,his car is stock. When he starts to modify and increase boost,he could raise pressure to provide more gasoline upstairs as needed.

I'm watching this thread very closely. I'm in the same boat, 127k miles. The short version is loss of power/engine runs rough, so I checked fuel pressure and it was low. Now I've upgraded pump/hotwire kit, new fuel filter, new fuel lines (long story), and the car drives the same. Bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and turned pressure up to 45, still drives the same. My dad had the car before me and he said that he had the same problem until he replaced the catalytic converter. So I'm waiting for my Scanmaster to arrive and looking into getting a test pipe versus trying O2 sensor or MAF replacement. If I don't have any luck I may start my own thread with more specifics. Good luck, OP!