New Return Line...Stock Fuel Tank

OneQuikSix

For those of you still running a stock fuel tank, how did you run a new/larger return line from the fuel pressure regulator? I've already run a new -8AN braided stainless feed line from the fuel filter to the rail. Now I'm trying to figure the best way to run a -6AN return line back to the tank. The main reason for the switch is the factory return line blocks the coolant temperature sending unit connection on the front of the intake manifold when using a Champion Racing aftermarket intake with billet fuel rails. I guess my main question is how to physically plumb the -6AN line into the tank or otherwise splice it into an existing line (either factory return line or possibly vapor line?). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheap way

I might be cheap here but I have ran a 3/8 rubber hose rated for fuel all the way to the sender. I use two clamps at the sender and 2 clamps at the AFR. At the regulater I go to JY and cut off a return solid line about 5" long. The front wheel drive have a longer straight section after the 90 degree bend. So i get one from there. I then take it home and cut it down to about 3-4" long after the 90 degree bend and clamp the hose onto it there with the 2 clamps. I have never had a issue with the rubber line NO SMELL EVER !! It has been on there since 91-92?? I also run it straight back and down behind the valve cover so it is less noticeable?? I have never had a NHRA tech say anything about it. Since it is a return line and see only like 3-5 pis i think this is way over kill. The reason i run the 3/8" is i ran dual pumps and you need it or you will never get FP at idle correct and i can run both pumps at same time and not have a fuel curve issue when second pump comes on at whatever psi. They do make fittings to convert AN to hard line but the return tube is to small for -6 and might work with a -4 hose? I have never tried 1/4 hose for return so not sure if there would be a small restriction compared to the 3/8" they do make a -4 to -6 adapter fitting if you did decide to do the hard line fitting. Hope this helps

Lots of guys convert the stock feed line into the return. You can do this by cutting off the stock fitting and using a compression type an adapter.. you can buy this from jegs/summit or whoever.

Lots of guys convert the stock feed line into the return. You can do this by cutting off the stock fitting and using a compression type an adapter.. you can buy this from jegs/summit or whoever.

Instead of cutting the Saginaw O ring fitting off you could use a Saginaw O Ring Male to AN Adapter such as:

Part # . . . . . Metric Thread . AN Fitting . . O Ring Male to AN Adapter
Earl 991955 . 16mm x 1.5 . . . -6AN Male. . Fuel Injection / Power Steering Adapter. Male -O-Ring Seal

To adapt AN fittings to the fuel pressure regulator use:
* Earl's # 991954 to adapt the Saginaw 14mm x 1.5 male fitting to a -6AN male fitting
*Then use Earl's # 935106 90Deg. Tube Bend, -6AN Female to -6AN Female
*Then Earl's # 165056 -6 AN Male to 5/16 Hard Line Tubing Adapter

Hope this helps

i have issue too, ran 3/8 return line but the 90* fitting at fpr wont work.
not enough room. the reg is about 1/4" too high from bolt holes
14mm x 1.5 to 6an conversion stated by board member i forget who
regpic.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I was planning on something like Lloyd mentioned in his post above. I just can't remember how to get the gas from the return line back into the tank. It's been a while since I had my tank out and can't quite remember how the interface looks. I planned on getting the -6 adapter fitting w/o-ring to fit into the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator then running a line back to the tank.

yep.. that's how I did mine. Use a 120 deg fitting I'm pretty sure... and ran the -6an line all the way back to the feed nipple on the the sending unit.

I like Loyd's way too, but it was just as easy (but more $) to send the line all the way back to the back.

so you used a 120* fitten? in my pic above the 90 is too big so i cant bolt the fpr on place. 40$ in fittings and no luk...

maybe i will try ;ole above with the 6an couplrs on both ends, maybe there shorter?

can you post a pic of yours?

so you used a 120* fitten? in my pic above the 90 is too big so i cant bolt the fpr on place. 40$ in fittings and no luk...

maybe i will try ;ole above with the 6an couplrs on both ends, maybe there shorter?

can you post a pic of yours?

Those fittings can be tweeked a little ;), but will distort the anodizing. When I did mine I put the fuel line and fitting on the regulator before I bolted it up to the rail.

i posted a while ago a -6 fitting that works for the regulator
a search of fuel rail fittings would have brought it up

from those posts

for FP reg i found a 3/8" JIC37*(-6AN) x M14x1.5 w/ locknut and oring elbow fitting ,
direct bolt up, no clearance issues and no saginaw crimp impeding flow
part # 9069-06-14
the source was discounthydraulichose.com

the fitting i listed is an elbow and its overall installed distance from bottom of regulator is only 1.25" , and because it has a locknut with the oring seal at the locknut it can be positioned any direction (forward or to the back) and still seal tight

Come to think of it, I was using a Bowling Green intake with a non-stock type Aeromotive regulator. So.... mine worked - I had more clearance than a stock setup would, but you're right, might not work with a 120 deg.. I'm not sure if the 120 deg was taller or not though.

All my pictures are stuck on the desktop with a dead power supply.

i have issue too, ran 3/8 return line but the 90* fitting at fpr wont work.
not enough room. the reg is about 1/4" too high from bolt holes
14mm x 1.5 to 6an conversion stated by board member i forget who
regpic.jpg

How about using:
Earls / 921106 90Deg. Female -6AN Swivel to Male -6AN
921106.jpg
with this
991955.jpg

This should have a shorter radii than the tube type bend.

I do like Paul's (pacecarta) fitting though
JIC%20fitting.jpg

Nice find