New Purchase--maybe?

GENE ROSS

I'm looking at buying a 1987 GN.
VIN:1G4GJ117HP462010
Only two problems: no trunk option label &
the VIN tag is missing from the dash. I believe everything is legit BUT I would like some comments. Is there any other place the VIN is located? Anybody with any thoughts/ideas?
Thanks
GENE ROSS

FWIW & IMHO:
Probably not much help here, Gene, but by any chance is the vin no denoted on the build sheet, and have you, or anybody ever located the build sheet. Does a carfax agree with the car's mileage. I am always pretty much a pessimist on this type of thing. HTH & I hope that everything works out for the best here. Will he give up the name of the previous owner/owners.

Gary,I appreciated your response & info. I talked to him sunday & he said NC DMV attached a tag(rivetted)to the drivers door post on the body and it had a prefix added to the original VIN. I missed it-I was looking on the door,a usual place of attachment. Seems by the carfax,everything is legit,including being stolen. I will weigh out the condition & price & go from there. How would I go about finding a build sheet? Anybody know? I still haven't talked to my "knowledgeable" friend yet. The car has potential-solid body,runs good,etc but also needs alot of TLC(cosmedic things). I would like to know the options though. I'll get back when I decide what to do. Thanks
GENE

In my opinion the fact that the seller disclosed that the car had indeed been stolen should help in making a decision. The only issue I see is that usually re-Vin cars dont sell for as much when put on the market. And because of this you should too take advantage of it. The build sheet is should be stuffed behind the back seat cushion. See if you can get back there, unless the car was totally stripped and rebuilt.Good luck.

Gene:
I'll bet that you are missing rthe beautiful GNX. I believe that one of the Kirban books made reference to build sheets occasionally being found in the driver door panel. A call to Kirbans might reveal if this info is Gospel or not. Life for me is 1 big senior time gap. Some seconds, some minutes, some hours, some days, oh well, you get the idea. I think that I read that somewhere, and I believe 1 of kirbans books. There are matching numbers, I have heard on the motor, tranny, & rear end, Might want to post and query where they are located at. You also might want to check any other services such as carfax to see if anything else is uncovered. Is there something called Car Check, or something similiar.