New problem for a new Buick

5L33P3R

Yes, Junior Member
Well lets see, I jumped into this world of turbo buicks recently and have a few issues. I will start with the low oil pressure. WhenI start the car it has 80+ PSI but after driving and engine temp is upto 160deg oil pressure gets down to ~8 PSI at idle. Is this even close to "ok"? I would think that it should have at least 20 PSI. I have about 20-25 Psi oil pressure at 35 MPH in 3rd gear, seems way too low. however, when fully floored there is more pressure the more the RPMs go up. I think there is a kennebelle pressure booster deal on oil pump judging from receipts that were giving to me when the car was purchased. What should be done at this point? I would hate to burn up this motor just the previous owner said "It's not about the pressure, it's about the volume.". As far as I know, if you gobs of volume it does no good if ya don't have the pressure to pump it to where its needed. Does this make any sense at all?

-len

for a reference:

My car has 75+ at startup and a while after.
At idle when warm it drops to 30 ish
Ar cruise back up to 60 ish.

I assume there is some aftermarket gauge in the car? Could it be faulty?
Does the OIL light ever come on? The stock sensor might have been disconnected so it might not come on.

How many miles on the motor?

When is the last time you changed the oil? What viscosity?

That is the first stuff that comes to mind. I don't anything about that oil booster you mentioned.

If it has a High volume front cover on it, i have seen oil pressure do this on many cars.Does the oil pressure shoot up if you just go to 1200 rpm Like from 8psi to 30 psi.if so you prolly have a high volume cover.

Just my .02 worth

Puddin

Yeah, it does have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on the car. is it faulty? i don't think so but could be. thing is the oil idiot light on the dash does still work and blinks on almost every time i come to a stop after the oil is up to temp. There are 5000 miles on the rebuilt engine. iv probably put 500 of those miles since getting the car. Oil was changed when the car was purchased. if it makes any difference, there is 10-30 dino oil in the engine right now.

-len

Chances are if the oil light is flickering the pressure really is that low. :(

I don't know anything about the high volume front plate but I wonder two things:

1) would a higher viscosity oil make a difference? Kind of a bandaid.
2) could your oil pickup tube screen be plugged at all?

When my cutlass did the same thing to me it was the bearings but it was a high millage car....

VDO cockpit series. I run Mobile 1 10w-40 and change it regularly. The engine doesn't have tooo many miles on it and I don't beat on the car as much as I should. Mostly shows and cruising.

I sometimes thing the pressure is too high but nothing has blown up yet :smile:

Guess i'll try some10-40 in there and see if that works out or not. Thanks for the help.

-len

Rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm, which you have except at idle. Below 10 at idle is scary, but relatively common on Turbo Regals. I would try a booster plate or checking end clearances on your oil pump.

My GN idle pressure was 7 psi when it had 80,000 miles when I finally put a gage in. Got the high volume cover shortly after that (with the overdue timing chain) and the remote oil filter set up that took the pressure up to 15 at idle

Mine is about 10psi at hot idle but jumps to about 40 when revved. It has been like that for 3 years. My motor is probably on the loose side but the roller cam supposedly bleeds some pressure. I do watch the guage all the time and cut the filter open at each oil change. I say if it jumps up off idle and goes to at least 30psi you should be ok. I have to admit that when other TR's came into my old shop with higher pressure I was jealous.