New Power Steering Pump, no brakes.

TA^Guy

Ok here is the situation. I have a '84 GN with that bloody power assist brake system. I just replaced my power steering pump after it froze up on me. Filled it up, started it up and all seems fine. But the brakes go right to the floor. Now with this braking system since I changed the power steering pump do I now need to bleed the brakes? I would have tried it but it's was almost midnight when I finished. I was forced to work on it late due to my 12 hour day at work. Tomarrow I'm going to try bleeding it, but I was curious if anyone had any suggestions. Also, with this system do I still fill the brake resivior with brake fluid? Dumb question probally, but this car is fairly new to me, I'm use to working on V8 Fbodys. :)
Thanks for any help.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if your pedal is going to the floor, pretty sure the hydraboost ISN'T the reason! I'd check for a brake fluid leak or a bad master cylinder.

The hydraboost unit is simply a power-assist unit that uses the power steering pump hydraulics. It's totally separate from the master cylinder, so yes, use brake fluid in the master cylinder!

Ok I thought it was seperate. But is it possible that I have air in the line going to the brakes? Is there a way to bleed that? My brakes were fine until my pump went. Now my steering is fine and I have no brakes.

if it was air then it would be a hard to push pedal like when the motors not running...if the pedal is going to the floor you got other problems.

Well, I seem to ahve fixed the problem.
I first checked for leaks in the power steering and braking system, nothing. So I started the car up and loosen the fitting going into the brake cylinder from the power steering pump. I drained some fluid, and backed off. Then did it again. Seems to hae been alittle bit of air in there.

Yeah, I drove it to work today. Seems like it's getting alot better. Thanks for the help everyone. If I couldn't figure that out the car was going up for sale. So far this car has given me so many problems. More so than any car I've ever owned. And that includes my $500 4WD Subaru winter beater. :(