New personal best. Not satisfied. Need suggestions

jpwalt1987

Well guys I finally made it to the track after a 10 year dry spell. It was hot and humid tonight in Evadale TX. 80* and probably close to 80% humidity. I had been playing with the SD2 chip for about a week before this. Got all my fuel corrections close at wot. The first time I went to do a burn out the car killed and wouldnt restart. Holy hell was I pissed. Turns out it popped the FP/INJ fuse. Why, I dont know. Got it started and waited forever to make a pass. Did a burn out and made a pass and it spit and sputtered and popped and banged and killed when I let off of the gas. Popped the same fuse again. Wtf? Got it back to the trailer and decided to switch my secondary pump to run all the time instead of on the hobbs switch.

I also take out some fuel because my wot af correction was pegged at -10%. Boost is set at 24 psi and timing at 19*. AFR target of 11.0:1.
Car goes 10.92@125. No knock. 2nd pass is a clean pass.

3rd pass was garbage. Spun every time I got on the gas.

4th pass I turned up the boost since I wasnt seeing any knock to 27-28. I increased the fuel @wot from 135 to 137 on the SD2 and added 1* degree of timing. I tried to launch on more boost than the second pass(4psi) so I started building boost on the prestage light. I could feel the car pushing so as soon as the stage light lit I engaged the transbrake the put the pedal to the floor. I red lit this pass from being anxious. Released the brake and the hit actually caused my foot to let off the throttle for a split second. Rookie mistake. Felt stupid. Oh well.

The car hooked and felt strong. Tried to hit my shifts just right. Did pretty good on that.

Result- 10.70@130 with a terrible 60ft.

I honestly feel the car should be wayyyy faster though. I think the convertor isnt correct for my combo. I will upload the powerlogger file tomorrow to see what you guys think.

Here is the combo:
3.8 109 block built by DLS
All forged bottom end
Ported GN1 heads with PAC 1203s
218/ 218 .540 lift dls cam
PTE front mount
Alkycontrol single nozzle
Dual DW 300 pumps on hot wire and volt booster
SD2 CHIP
BorgWarner6668 turbo
80 lb injectors with drilled stock lines
Th400 with transbrake
ATI convertor 10"
3 1/2 DP made by me
Dual 3inch cottons exhaust.
Probably forgot something in there too.

The car was at 76% duty cycle on the 80s and the meth kit was on 7.5

This was on 93 and alky.

Anyone have suggestions or is the mph on par? The car weighs right at 3700 lbs. That figures up to be 625 hp on the HP calculator. Adding 3 psi and 1* of timing gained me 5mph and approximately 75 hp. Am I way off base?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1402208126666.jpg
    1402208126666.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 201
I would be looking more at the consistency of the car / electronics before the converter. No doubt,you got the power but I would try to get a few more baseline runs just to make sure that my electronics were in order. I would hate to go on some trial runs and every run is different. 1 clean run out of 4. I hate electronic gremlins, I had the TPS sensor wire get pinched by the throttle cable assembly and the car kept stalling and bucking the whole time that I tried to give it gas, made for a pretty embarassing day at the track.

Funny thing is, I drove the car to work for the previous 4 days and had not a single problem during some "spirited" driving. But I do agree with good baselines.

Might try a lower humidity day. My car goes way fat when humidity is high and feels like crap. a/f go from 10.5 to 9.8 or so when humid on a non compensating 5.7 tt chip. Just food for thought!

Looks like a good run and good MPH.
Only thing I can add:
Batt. voltage is low at 12.2 at WOT.
didnt see where the 1-2 shift point was.

Looks like a good run and good MPH.
Only thing I can add:
Batt. voltage is low at 12.2 at WOT.
didnt see where the 1-2 shift point was.

I have a caspers volt booster that usually shows 15.5 volts. I see that its not working. I wonder if that has to do with popping the fuses. The voltage was going nuts for a little bit.

you moved the car is the right direction when you played with it.the only thing I would do with it at this point would be to get the 60ft way down.the car did 26 mph out the back at 3700lbs and held more boost when you turned it up so I would leave the converter for now.hook the car your low 10's with a good 60ft with the tune in the car now.

Funny thing is, I drove the car to work for the previous 4 days and had not a single problem during some "spirited" driving. But I do agree with good baselines.

Have a look at the fuel pump priming connector near the ac unit, I have seen them go to ground.:rolleyes: = Intermittent headache

Have a look at the fuel pump priming connector near the ac unit, I have seen them go to ground.:rolleyes: = Intermittent headache

Ding, ding, ding!!!!! We have a winner!!!!

Attachments

• 1402330234001.jpg
    1402330234001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 219
Ive been talking with Dusty and Bison about the cars performance and came to the decision to order a PTC convertor that will get the slip% down from 11.5% to about 5-7% I'll retest afterwards and post the results. My goal is to run 140mph with whatever ET comes along with it on 93 and alky.

Last edited:
Say bye bye to convertor slippage!!

Attachments

• 1404350278339.jpg
    1404350278339.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 103