new owner needs guidance

jlbeck

I am a relatively new owner (2 months) of a real nice looking 87 GN. I have no history on the car whatsoever and do not know if it has been modified in any way. I do know that the two times I got into it the OEM boost gauge went to the peg and the car seems very, very, fast. I plan on installing an aftermarket boost gauge and I wish to return the boost levels to stock to avoid any engine damage. I have a couple of questions. What is the stock boost pressure? How do you test a boost solenoid and are they available for replacement. What would the result be if I run a line directly from the turbo (taking the solenoid out of the picture) to the wastegate actuator.

I hope someone can give me some good advice. You folks seem to know these cars very well.

Thanks

Stock boost should be about 16lbs. The stock boost gauge is a joke as is the rpm gauge. Get a good boost gauge and also get a Scan Master. It is a device that shows you all the things that are read at the data port. It's very helpful for tuning and telling you if you have knock-engine killer. The car might have an adjustable rod on the boost actuator already. Look under the turbo to see the rod going to a pot. If it is solid then not ajustable, if there is a nut in the middle then its adjustable. You've got plenty to read here so sit back and do some searches. You may find you like the car as is and not want to mod it or you might like the feeling of boost and go for the gusto. Either way have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember, Scan Master, good boost gauge, 93 oct if you can get it. Doing the "spring cleaning" would be smart so you have a starting point. If you do any mods the fuel system needs to be upgraded-23 year old parts and boost = boom.

I am a relatively new owner (2 months) of a real nice looking 87 GN. I have no history on the car whatsoever and do not know if it has been modified in any way. I do know that the two times I got into it the OEM boost gauge went to the peg and the car seems very, very, fast. I plan on installing an aftermarket boost gauge and I wish to return the boost levels to stock to avoid any engine damage. I have a couple of questions. What is the stock boost pressure? How do you test a boost solenoid and are they available for replacement. What would the result be if I run a line directly from the turbo (taking the solenoid out of the picture) to the wastegate actuator.

I hope someone can give me some good advice. You folks seem to know these cars very well.

Thanks

Where are you from? It might be helpful to find someone local to look over the car. There are a million different things that could go wrong with the car that can case damage in boost but the car will still run. Vaccuum hoses, cracked headers, fuel pressure, etc.......

Stock boost should be about 16lbs. The stock boost gauge is a joke as is the rpm gauge. Get a good boost gauge and also get a Scan Master. It is a device that shows you all the things that are read at the data port. It's very helpful for tuning and telling you if you have knock-engine killer. The car might have an adjustable rod on the boost actuator already. Look under the turbo to see the rod going to a pot. If it is solid then not ajustable, if there is a nut in the middle then its adjustable. You've got plenty to read here so sit back and do some searches. You may find you like the car as is and not want to mod it or you might like the feeling of boost and go for the gusto. Either way have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember, Scan Master, good boost gauge, 93 oct if you can get it. Doing the "spring cleaning" would be smart so you have a starting point. If you do any mods the fuel system needs to be upgraded-23 year old parts and boost = boom.
you mean 11 #?

Where are you from? It might be helpful to find someone local to look over the car. There are a million different things that could go wrong with the car that can case damage in boost but the car will still run. Vaccuum hoses, cracked headers, fuel pressure, etc.......
I live just north of Atlanta. I have inquired around and on the net but have not been able to find anyone around here that seems to know much. I really am not interested in any mods since this thing is plenty fast for me. I really would just like to return to stock if possible. I understand the stock setup is good for 14 seconds or less and that is fine for me. The car runs great. No leaks, idles smooth, no funny noises etc. Since I noticed the boost issue I do not get into it any more. I use Sunoco 93 octane. I just thought I would replace the solenoid and adjust the wastegate to get to stock boost pressure. I have ordered a boost gauge but cannot find a new solenoid.

The stock boost solenoid is not available anymore. They don't go bad that often. If you have an aftermarket chip already, it might be letting boost go higher. See what you are getting for boost before you get worried about that stuff.
When my T was bone stock, I had 16lbs of boost.

The stock boost solenoid is not available anymore. They don't go bad that often. If you have an aftermarket chip already, it might be letting boost go higher. See what you are getting for boost before you get worried about that stuff.
When my T was bone stock, I had 16lbs of boost.
That is what I plan to do. Hopefully the new boost gauge will help alot. Can one tell if it is an aftermarket chip? Where is the chip located? I hate to be a pest but I know absolutely nothing about what has been done to this car over the past 23 years and cannot find anyone around here that knows much of anything. I did run into a fellow at a cruise in last Sat. that had an 87 GN that he bought new. He said the only things he has done is a chip and removing the catalytic converter(s). He told me that he has had no problems whatsoever and last summer ran an 11.5 quarter.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

BS ALERT, only removing the cat and adding a chip WILL NOT get you 11.5s.
Turbo Regal Web Site Got to the resourses drop down list and start educating yourself. Some info is dated but their is some very important stuff you need to learn there.

I thought he was a little generous with the time. Can you test the wastegate while it is still connected with compressed air? If so should I use the fitting on the top of the turbo? I would like to check if it is frozen up (stuck shut) and since I do not have any spare C clips I don't want to remove the arm until I do.

It most likely has an aftermarket chip in it. Pull the computer and take a look. The computer in under the passanger side kick panel. If you connect the output of the turbo directly to the wastegate actuator you should get about 11#'s of boost if the actuator is adusted correctly.

if you could post up pics around the engine bay. im sure the guys here can spot most mods.

pics

Here are some pics of the engine compartment. I pulled the computer out but when the little cover on the right would not come off easily I put the screws back and quit. I don't poke around in things I know little or nothing about. I did notice the missing screw on the computer. Appears someone has been there before me.

Jim

Attachments

• 100_0407.JPG
    100_0407.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_0408.JPG
    100_0408.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_0409.JPG
    100_0409.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_0410.JPG
    100_0410.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_0413.JPG
    100_0413.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 195
motor looks nice. congrats. you have an adj. wastegate. on the picture of your computer. unscrew one of the screws, loosen the other one and swing that panel around 180 degrees and take a pic of the 2 chips inside. you wont hurt anything.

The motor looks pretty much all stock with a few minor changes and some dress up. Can you post a pic of the engine compartment from further away. Would like to see the entire compartment in one shot. The cover on the ECM does stick when it hasn't been opened for a while. Just remove the two screws and pry it up with a small screw driver. From what I can see it looks like a pretty clean car :)

Fuel pressure reg looks like it's a stock unadjustable one. You might want to put that on the list of things to upgrade.

I didn't put these with the others due to forum size restrictions. It is a real nice car inside and out.

Attachments

• ec1.jpg
    ec1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 166
  • ec2.JPG
    ec2.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 168
Hey I think I know that car The guy who owns it was from around here he is was one of the guys that started a big car club here and they put a big show on every year. I think I have lots of pics of that car. If I remeber righte he didnt do alot other then turn up the boost and a chip. maybe some suspention upgrades. Ill have to look in my pics now and see if its the same car.

remove the small cover on the back of the ecm and take a picture of the chips inside. there will be two.

Nice looking engine compartment. The only thing I would change is the fuel pressure regulator. Change it from the 233 to a 237. You don't need an adjustable one. I would loose some of the chrome...a little too ricer for me...but that's just MHO.To each his own. Again...nice car! :)