New motor is junk.

rpk250

Well, sad story, my 1500 mile Groom's stage 3 motor is junk. The last two times out I noticed the warm oil pressure was down from its usual 50psi level to about 30 when cruising. Oil pressure was fine at cold start-up. Never made any noise as far as I could hear. I decided to drop the oil and disect the filter. Needless to say, filter was full of metal. So I imagine a bearing went bad somewhere. The car only saw 4 passes down the track, all below 20psi with very minimal knock on scanmaster. Hopefully Grooms will stand behind their motor, especially since when I recieved the motor, I unwrapped it to find a broken ARP rod bolt falling out at my feet. I then had to call them and have them send me another bolt to replace it after I pulled the broken half out of the threaded portion of the rod. I guess I should have seen this coming or at least sent the whole motor back at that point. Oh well, either way my year is over. Time to dig out the cherry-picker.

Sorry to hear about the motor, hopefully it can be saved.

I don't know about a warranty after racing it though...

I just wonder how much that broken rod bolt had to do with this. Not that it matters much now. My friend had a good point. He asked me if I had loosened the other rod bolt before torqueing down the replacement bolt. Is that necessary because I just pulled the broken bolt out with an easy-out and torqued the new one down. Also I hope my turbo survived. I have the PTE turbosaver remote oiler and it seemed fine while it was running.

That is not the first time I heard of a Grooms motor going down. My buddy had one and it died quick! He went through 3 engines before having a close freind of mine build him one and he has now put more miles on this new motor than all of the other three combined!!! If you want his info just PM me and I'll give it to ya! He is located in TN. Scot w.

Insult to injury. I was going to run Hot Rod drag week starting Monday the 11th, and now I'm to late to get my $225 entry fee back. Oh well, at least I have my Coors Light.

Hate to say it but if I received a motor and a rod bolt was broken I would have sent it right back. :mad: Hope they make good on this for you.

I had lots of issues with my Grooms motor. They took it back and told me they rebuilt everything. Motor runs great now, but I'm still having knock issues for almost two years now. They paid shipping too. They told me the motor was full of steel shot and they took responsiblity for it. The motor never ran or sounded right. I swapped out the heads and cam and it is much better, but not 100%.
But geez, what a pain in the ass taking it out, sending it back and then putting new motor in again. I would definitely send it back and insist that they fix it. Don't tell them you were racing. They will use that as an excuse.
Oh and when my 2nd motor came, the bottom of the crate was missing and the truck driver was lifting the motor with a hand truck under the crank. :eek:
I would never use Grooms again. I would pay the extra money and have one of the know builders like Jack Cotton do my next motor.
Sorry about your ordeal. Hope it works out for you.