New Member: Need Help!

S2X01

Hey guys...I need help deciding if I should buy a T-Type. It's an 83 Regal.

Went to look at it yesterday, and it's extremely clean. It starts right up, and it drives, but that's where the good ends.
Here's what I can tell about the car. The owner had no idea what was going on, as he got the car because someone owed him money.
It starts right up, but he said when he drives it, it doesn't make boost. "Doesn't feel like a turbo should".

1) There's what appears to be a standard Q-Jet on it. Maybe it is making boost, but running way too lean with that carb??

2) There's a few vac lines here and there not running to anything. Obvious problem. Also...the oil fill cap was not vented. The owner said they couldn't get it to start for a long time. They finally pulled the fill cap, notched it so it would breathe, and it started. I'm guessing they pressurize the living $#!^ out of the crankcase.

3) There's an ECU of sorts laying in the back seat. If I recall correctly, it said boost or turbo or something like that on it.

4) The MAACO paint job is falling apart. Least of my worries....along with some other minor body issues. Nothing the junkyard can't fix. Also, the front springs were cut to drop it. Now it rubs. Also...easy fix.

Here's the good. I have access to a 1985 SFI motor. For the price of free. The thing is, though, I would need to get this 83 engine running first. The free engine is about 1400 miles away. I'd want to get this one running first.

The guy's asking price is $4000. Which I think is absurd. I'll definitely offer him less than that.

Knowing the carb and boost issues...is this something that might end up being not too bad of a project? I know I still need to check the turbo for shaft play, but sourced a rebuilt one nearby.

Thoughts??

Thanks guys!
Stu

I was in the neighborhood of $2800. But was still hesitant on that. Maybe I'm not calculating things correctly!!

What is that ECU in the back seat?
What is the right carb, and where do I find one? I'm sure they're not cheap...

Can a later TBI be thrown on these?? I'm wondering if I could get one of those and a matching ECU or Megasquirt, if it would reduce my hunting and work....

Just trying to figure out how massive of a project I would be getting into. I like it a lot, and the body is solid as can be. Needs stuff like brake lights, and minor interior trim stuff. But...I love junkyard days!!

The carbs I'm researching seem to be similar. Q-jets. Not sure if the turbo ones had something special to them, or if this one just desperately needs a rebuild.
The engine ran with no knocks at all. No smoke, no drips. Had an oil light on though.

I'm kind of wondering if a fresh turbo, a carb rebuild, and some replumbing of vacuum lines will get her back on her feet.

The 78-80 turbo carbs had a special port in the baseplate for the "boost referenced" power piston setup.

In 1983 the carb should be an E4ME electric quadrajet without a power piston, so you dont have to worry about that.

The computer should be able to keep your mix decent when out of the secondaries...If it cant I would expect it to pop a code.

As for when in the secondary side of the carb under boost, a 1983 turbo Qjet used CP secondary rods with about a 1 5/8" air flap open distance.

Match your carb to that and I would think it would be fine.

Of course the best bet would be to find the correct 17083244 Quadrajet.....

If the ECM says "Turbo Control Center", then it is for a 1978-79 Turbo V6. The '83 would have an ECM in the lower, right kick panel under the dash.

The electronic carb would have a couple of electrical connectors in the front. A three pin for the TPS and a two pin for the mixture control solenoid.

The electronic carbs and ECM confuse a lot of people used to old school V8's. They often tried to remove all the emissions stuff and "fix" the engine. I would look for the check engine light turning on and then off when the car is started. That's means the ECM is there and happy.

The secondaries often stick closed and that limits boost to 6 psi & it takes forever to get there.

"Had an oil light on though". Possibly a bad sender, but I would check it with a manual gauge, or just put a new sender in it before you buy it.

Well thanks for all the replies everyone!
Sounds like it might actually be the right carb...maybe just needing a cleaning. That and a little vacuum line repair could have it in business.
I'm gonna talk to the guy this weekend. He definitely needs to come down from 4G.

Also!!! Just talked to my neighbor. He's got a hotter cam for it he said I could have. And a rebuilt motor with 10K on it for next to nothing!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

"Had an oil light on though". Possibly a bad sender, but I would check it with a manual gauge, or just put a new sender in it before you buy it.

I'm guessing it's the sender. The oil looked like it had just been changed. Maybe slightly overfull if anything.
I'm wondering if the fill cap issue pressurized things and wrecked the sender.
If I end up with it, I'll probably just drive it home as is(less than 10 miles). Just won't have the time or money to mess with hauling it unfortunately.

The connector often falls off the sending unit. Trace the oil feed line the turbo back to the block and you'll find it. It's Tee'd into the oil feed line near the block/timing chain cover.

Last edited:
So I'm gonna go make an offer on this 83 today. Just for my own personal reference, where would the 17083244 be stamped on the carburetor?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Driver side on a flange right above the secondary shaft and linkage. The numbers face the front of the car.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1397311313.840863.jpg