new member from Iraq

blu04srt4

Hello everyone. This is a great site, and i've learned a great deal by looking thru it so far. I absolutely love TB, i've loved them since i was a little kid, and im 27 now. I do have a dilemma on my hands that i would like to hear some thoughts on. I am aware that this is a TB site, and please no biased opinions. I currently have a 2006 Jeep GC Hemi. I am looking for a new car and second car. I love the 1987 Buick Grand Nationals, but i also love the SRT8 Jeeps. I want a good car for daily driving and a toy car. Having the GN and SRT8 would be awesome to have two fun cars, and use the SRT8 more for DD since it has AWD and i'll be living in New Jersey. But having the GN or SRT8 and the new Audi A4 with the quattro would be great too cause the Audi is better for daily driving than the SRT8. This probally seems like a dumb question to some, but few may get my dilemma. Any opinions? Please keep the childish comments to yourselves. Thank you.

Welcome and stay safe.

heres my take, you can spend a buttload of quid on a new ride, make payments have comforts and pretty much zero maintenance.

Or you can find a nice TR foresale thats got some goodies already done, be feared on the street by those who know and put the smak down on those who think they know otherwise.

Minimal mods, a good tune and proper launch will put you into the low 12's on into the 11's

For what you spend to get there...they cant be beat..but be forewarned, what you spend to keep it there...well thats another story:eek:

Mike

Welcome and stay safe.

heres my take, you can spend a buttload of quid on a new ride, make payments have comforts and pretty much zero maintenance.

Or you can find a nice TR foresale thats got some goodies already done, be feared on the street by those who know and put the smak down on those who think they know otherwise.

Minimal mods, a good tune and proper launch will put you into the low 12's on into the 11's

For what you spend to get there...they cant be beat..but be forewarned, what you spend to keep it there...well thats another story:eek:

Mike
I completely understand where you are coming from. I had previously owned a 2004 Dodge SRT4 and i had about $3000 worth of mods and if i had slicks on it it would have run mid 12s and it ran 14.0 stock. I love the GNs, and i love the Jeep SRT8. I am thinking about getting the Jeep and putting a turbo on it which costs about $6000, which will put the Jeep in the low 12s. I would love to have a Jeep SRT8 that runs low 12s and a GN that runs the same. I think this would be an awesome pair of cars. I don't think the upkeep for the two would be too much. I'll see if i can get a good deal on both cars. Thanks for your input and welcome, and i am trying to stay safe!!

You can get the new Regal GS next year.
AWD and 340ish HP, it is a 4 door though.

Thanks for your service!

There was a post on the other thread about Buicks thats so true. You must have the following things to own & maintain a GN.

1 Time
2 Patience
3 Tools
4 $$ for parts & tuning

I forget the other one he mentioned but I personally stress Patience & extra $$$!
They are 20+ years old & can be very finicky. Also if you cant work on it yourself then you already have 1 strike against you. The more mods you do (aside from tuning aids) the weirder they can act. Some have very little trouble with their car & some are constantly fixing them. Something to consider when buying one.
They are also a target for Scumbag Car Thieves!!

Yes, those are very important things to consider. It's a good thing for me that i fall under all of them. When i do decide to buy a GN, i'm going to try and find one that is as close to stock as possible. I want to learn the car, if you will. I do realize the age of these cars, and it's a risk i'm willing to take, as it was with everyone that has one. Thanks for your input. Do you have any idea where i can find some info on the new Regal? I've looked for it on here but i'm coming up empty.

i'm going to try and find one that is as close to stock as possible.

if you buy close to stock then keep it that way, or the bug will get you and you will spend ooodles of dough. Find a nicely modded one with scan tools installed etc and you'll be happy;)

Revise: Lets break it down this way hypothetically speaking.

Lets say you buy a close to stock or stock for ...er 16K

Spring cleaning is first such as tune up?..new plug wires and plugs always good $100.00

Folks suggest you buy a scan tool, simple one aka scanmaster, $200.00..you get it hooked up and notice knock, quite a bit like 10.2 degrees.
Suggestions are..new chip..OEM has too much timing, if ya do that you should upgrade the injectors as well..28#is stock, 60#rs give you room to grow.. chip/injector combo is like $350 somthin depending on sales.
Adjustable fuel reg. $$
New fuel pump with hotwire $$
But we still have knock.. alcohol injection system will fix that.. $500 somthin

So now we have just tacked on another grand plus to your newly purchased car.

Find somthing that has been drivin, tuned and kept that way with all the basic mods at the very least, pay 15 or 16k and that will give you time to enjoy it before sinking more coin.

if you buy close to stock then keep it that way, or the bug will get you and you will spend ooodles of dough. Find a nicely modded one with scan tools installed etc and you'll be happy;)

Revise: Lets break it down this way hypothetically speaking.

Lets say you buy a close to stock or stock for ...er 16K

Spring cleaning is first such as tune up?..new plug wires and plugs always good $100.00

Folks suggest you buy a scan tool, simple one aka scanmaster, $200.00..you get it hooked up and notice knock, quite a bit like 10.2 degrees.
Suggestions are..new chip..OEM has too much timing, if ya do that you should upgrade the injectors as well..28#is stock, 60#rs give you room to grow.. chip/injector combo is like $350 somthin depending on sales.
Adjustable fuel reg. $$
New fuel pump with hotwire $$
But we still have knock.. alcohol injection system will fix that.. $500 somthin

So now we have just tacked on another grand plus to your newly purchased car.

Find somthing that has been drivin, tuned and kept that way with all the basic mods at the very least, pay 15 or 16k and that will give you time to enjoy it before sinking more coin.

That makes alot of sense. Thanks alot. If i buy it stock, i know very well that it wont stay that way. I love the car, but the performance of these turbo cars is insane with little mods. It does make alot of sense to buy one already modded and tuned, let someone else spend the money and i enjoy it. Makes perfect sense. Haha. Thanks again guys. I cant wait to get back from iraq and let my search begin!!!

Hello blu04srt4 and welcome to the site.
I May be enroute to your part of the world some time in March. I will keep you posted. :)

Welcome to TurboBuick.com, the biggest & the best of all of the turbo Buick forums / sites anywhere.

Your only a couple hours from us up here in Connecticut. Check my sig. The GN is a toy only imo unless you want to keep it stock but either way they are useless in the snow/ice.

Up here in the Northeast you definately need another vehicle. Audi and a GN sounds good to me. Those Jeeps are kool but don't get very good gas mileage.

Btw, thanx for kicken ass over there. We all appreciate ur service!

Your only a couple hours from us up here in Connecticut. Check my sig. The GN is a toy only imo unless you want to keep it stock but either way they are useless in the snow/ice.

Up here in the Northeast you definately need another vehicle. Audi and a GN sounds good to me. Those Jeeps are kool but don't get very good gas mileage.

Btw, thanx for kicken ass over there. We all appreciate ur service!

You're welcome! We really appreciate the support from everyone back home, it certainly helps to know our nation is behind us!!
Yea there's no way i would ever drive the GN in the snow, no way. I'm so lost on which car i want to get. There's so many choices when it comes to having a weekend car/fun car. I've always loved the GN and T-types, but i also love the supras, and LS1 camaros. And the list goes on. haha. I have a few months to think about it and research these cars.

New guy from Bolton Ontario.Six months ago my buddy says to me you need a hobby like an old car or something to keep you busy on the weekends.Well the coolest car in high school for me was my old friend Tim's GN.Guess what 48 hrs later i bought a 1987 buick grand national(t-tops).The car is completley stock ,except i just replaced the front and rear shocks(Bilstiens).I love the car, but my brother inlaw has a viper and busts my balls calling nasty a " k-CAR,A BOX OR WHEN ARE YOU PUTTING THE PLOW ON".I think i will have to get my new car into the low 12's to shut him up. Where do i start.P.S i need a good mechanic in my neck of the woods

I've always loved the GN and T-types, but i also love the supras, and LS1 camaros. And the list goes on. haha. I have a few months to think about it and research these cars.
I feel the same way. Love Supras and at some point in my life I will have one for a summer daily driver.

Proplem is they cost even more then a TR to build and good luck finding one worth buying with a single turbo conversion for less the $35-40k.

Why not just get an Infinity G37 AWD. They get great gas mileage, look sharp and have a great resale value. I like the Audi but they seem to be prone to electrical issues and aint cheap to fix.

LS1 might be a good move on a toy as well. Make tons of power for waaay cheaper then a Buick. But then again, everyone and his brother has one. Especially in our part of the world in the Northeast. Take a ride down 95 in the summer and tell me how many TR's you see. Likely none.

There is a lot of help with TR's in this part of the country. Especially on this site. You have some of the best TR tuners/engine builders only a couple hours from you and plenty of help in Jersey as well. Billy T is down that way and is very knowledgable as well as helpful and has one that baaaadest Buicks around.

I feel the same way. Love Supras and at some point in my life I will have one for a summer daily driver.

Proplem is they cost even more then a TR to build and good luck finding one worth buying with a single turbo conversion for less the $35-40k.

Why not just get an Infinity G37 AWD. They get great gas mileage, look sharp and have a great resale value. I like the Audi but they seem to be prone to electrical issues and aint cheap to fix.

LS1 might be a good move on a toy as well. Make tons of power for waaay cheaper then a Buick. But then again, everyone and his brother has one. Especially in our part of the world in the Northeast. Take a ride down 95 in the summer and tell me how many TR's you see. Likely none.

There is a lot of help with TR's in this part of the country. Especially on this site. You have some of the best TR tuners/engine builders only a couple hours from you and plenty of help in Jersey as well. Billy T is down that way and is very knowledgable as well as helpful and has one that baaaadest Buicks around.

Actually, i've been looking at the supras on autotrader and on the supra forums, and you can get a 93-98 for around 25k-30k with about 80k miles. I dont think i would do the single conversation on it. With the stock turbos you can put around 400whp down. That with slicks is hp to run low 12s. i dont want to get into roll-cages right now and all the other things the nhra rules call for at lower ets. I dont know though, having a single turbo supra would be a monster. I've watched so many videos of those things crushing ferraris and lambos, and im not talking and FF. haha. I do agree with seeing alot of camaros and mustangs on the road. Thats exactly why i would never buy a mustang, although i do really like the 98-02 camaros. They are really cheap to mod. But i want a car that i wont see at every stoplight and has some exclusiveness to it. Thanks again for all the advice and info, im storing it all in my brain.haha.