New Jersey Emmisions

globber99

Hey guys im new to the posting world but i am committed to buying this car
http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418
and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on getting it to pass emmisions in new jersey. I am pretty sure it has no cat on it. So will i need an emissions chip, or put a cat on it what. Any little tricks like lowering boost and fuel pressure? Thanks

Also i was doing a little research on the net and i read a few places said unplug every other injector. That sounds like it would be bad for the car.
Any thoughts thanks

well you will definatelly need a converter to start, and then you could just get an emmissions chip. were in new jersey are you located?

right now i'm at college in Maryland

Right now im at college in maryland but over the summer this car will be back in jersey. I live right around the princeton area. Would it be easier for me to get an MD license and get insurance in md and just go for the md inspection.

Maryland has I/M240, your chance of passing MD emissions with that car are slim to none. Jus my 0.02. The NJ test is easier.

jersey testing

Well i think jersey has a dyno test also, not sure if its the m/240. It doesnt have a cat right now, but if i were to put a new cat on it do you tihnk it would be okay.

Yes, NJ has a dyno test, 1/2 of the CA program. The 5015 steady state test. Emissions are measured at 15 mph with 50% of the vehicle weight applied to the dyno. IMHO, relatively easy test to get through. MD test is a varying load and speed test. Emissions tested over a 240 seond period, from 0-38 mph and 0-58 mph, with varying loads applied to the lab grade dyno (same type of dyno used for the Federal Test Procedure and used to certify manufacturers vehicles). Exact stoiciometry (14.7:1 fuel mixture) is almost a must for I/M240. During the CA pilot program, there were relatively low mileage stock vehicles that would fail this test on a regular basis. What do you think will happen to that highly modified vehicle on the MD test? IMHO, I think it will fail miserably, at HC, CO and NOx (probably in the gross polluter range in all gasses).

thanks for the info

I'm gonna put a cat on it and just try alot of the little tricks suck as some alcohol in the gas tank, getting it nice and warm right before i take it into get tested, lower the fuel pressure, stuff like. If that doesnt work then a friend of mine some how got his car to pass inspection without even taking it in to a shop so i might just talk to him.

Re: thanks for the info

Originally posted by globber99
I'm gonna put a cat on it and just try alot of the little tricks suck as some alcohol in the gas tank, getting it nice and warm right before i take it into get tested, lower the fuel pressure, stuff like. If that doesnt work then a friend of mine some how got his car to pass inspection without even taking it in to a shop so i might just talk to him.
i would do the later part. my car hasnt failed once that way.:D