New here, new to my T-Type, engine questions

Perpendicular

I was in, but now out.
I am new to the site, so please forgive some of the basic questions.

I did a search and really didn't find what I was looking for so I figured I would just ask.

I bought a 87 T-Type last week and need some help with it. Before I can register it in my name it must pass a state inspection and it fails the emissions due to way high idle parameters. The car will idle kinda rough, idle fast when it is first started up and seem way underpowered until the turbo kicks in. It misses somewhat when taking off too. At highway speeds it runs very good and the turbo seems very responsive.

I have gone over everything, put new plugs in (old were not that bad but one of them didn't match which means to me that the PO couldn't get it out so he just left it), cleaned the TB flap - not too much carbon was there, etc.

Where should I look next?

My next big question is this: what should I look at before I take the motor out of the car?

It has some oil leaks (I hate oil leaks) and the engine compartment is just NASTY from the leaks. I want to pull it out and replace what should be replaced, fix the leaks, clean up the engine bay and put things back in. I would also like to do some basic upgrades that will make it nicer and faster without killing the costs.

Now, I don't want to make this car into a drag car, I want it as a daily driver. I just want to make it as good as it can be on a budget.

What do ya'll - the forum wise ones - suggest I look at before taking the motor out? What should I replace / upgrade while i have this opportunity that won't break the bank?

Thank you in advance for any help. I want to make the car right and enjoy driving it. Faster is better too ;)

Paul

You really need a scanmaster #1

If you are having idle issues I'd look for vac leaks, then with the aid of the scanmaster check IAC (idle air control valve) and TPS (throttle position sensor). You can go from there.