New here considering trade for 87 GN. Thoughts??

LJLawrence

Hello all my name is L.J. i am a brand new member here and 33 years old. I am VERY much into classic cars thats what my dad started me on and what got me interested in cars. I had a 66 Chevy stepside since i was 14, but traded that for a 55 Chevy model 210 4door so i could take my wife and daughter along to shows etc. I still own the Chevy. I also am into g-bodies being younger i remember them well. I have owned a 80 Malibu and also an 84 Monte Carlo. My Chevy is up for sale or trade and this is what i was offered.
87 Grand National T tops. Original paint, never wrecked, no rust the guy is the second owner of the car. Sotck motor/trans never modified 87,250miles. Looks good in pics has a small tear in drivers seat. Any idea what this car is worth?

I have a 55 Chevy 210 4 door. Has a 355 small block(300 miles since rebuild), TH350 trans with shift kit, original rear with 373 gears. Power rack and pinion steering, power brakes with discs up front, Craggar SS wheels BFG tires etc etc typical hot rod stuff. Good cruiser.

I feel like im more interested in a little newer stuff as nice as my car is was considering trades for 68-72 chevelle, 78-81 Malibu Grand National etc. I was offered the 87 GN i described. Do you think its a fair trade even up or should i ask for cash on top of the GN for my 55? Tough decision because i am in PA and the GN is in KY and most likely wont be able to see car in person before hand. Owner has sent me like 90pics and car looks good in the pics. Looking for advice as im VERY interested in the GN but dont wanna make a bad deal and lose any potential money on my 55.
Sorry for the length just looking for opinions from people who know these buicks better than me. Thanks
L.J.

i think you will be making out on the trade,considering your 55 is a 4 dr. that GN should be worth 10 to 12k if its nice

i think you will be making out on the trade,considering your 55 is a 4 dr. that GN should be worth 10 to 12k if its nice
So an even up trade would be an ok deal? Even with all the new parts in my 55? It is a 4 door but one of the nicest you'll see. I know they dont bring as much as a 2 door would, but i think 13-15K? Maybe i'm wrong. I just want a fair trade for us both

Where in KY is it located. I am not the most qualified person in the world to look over these cars. But I think I did an alright job when I bought my GN back in August. But I know a person around Lexington that is very qualified to do so. If it's around the Bowling Green area there are several good sources from gentlemen for information on Buicks. Just let me know if I could help

Id say you were making out on the trade but you having a fresh motor in it evens up the score cards your 55 is a four door and not to knock it at all but it has a common drivetrain and wheels 355 engine 350 trans cragars you can find that stuff all day long...Decent low mile gns are harder and harder to find and owning one is an experience all its own, youve come to the right place if you decide to trade,make sure you get pics with the t tops off they like to rust in that area.....

The GN is located in Grenup(sp?) 25 miles or so north of Ashland. I looked on a map and it's in the NE corner of KY right on boarder of WV. I don't have any cash to pay an appraiser to go look at it do keep that in mind. If somebody would be willing to check it out for me that would be cool.

I understand my 55 is a 4 door so kind of the blacksheep of 55's. It is built with common typical hot rod stuff but it's a proven combo. The guy that owns the car sent me well over 100 pics of anything and everything I've asked for. Even asked for pics of tops of a pillars with t tops out cus I heard of them rusting there. Looks clean. Only minor issue I see is a small tear in drivers side seat but my 55 is not perfect ya know? He sent me the VIN # I ran a carfax report and it came back clean. No accidents reported only registration renewals etc.

I forgot to mention his car must be everything he says it is because he's willing to travel all the to me. 500+ miles/8 1/2 hrs one way. Trailer the GN here do the trade and take my 55 back home with him.

A few pics for reference of my 55 and the GN:

3c00e89b.jpg

5b8a31ff.jpg

579f7db8.jpg

4b1400ed.jpg

2c71df9b.jpg

755531a7.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about doing the trade. In your guys opinion here it's not a bad deal right? I mean GN's are still going up in value. My car being a 4 door best I can figure its prob worth 13-15k id say maybe??
Let me know anymore thoughts you might have. Thanks

Both cars are beautiful IMHO! The only thing I see of concern on the GN is the MAF. It's and aftermarket piece and is the hourglass shaped unit which isn't exactly ideal. It seems to be a common piece from the parts houses, and may or may not be calibrated properly. Even though the car may run well it would be something that needs attention in the future once you get your "feet wet" and start learning how to tune the new age electronically controlled cars like these. Everything else under the hood seems to be proper and intact, from what I can see from just the one pic.

So what you're saying is the MAF has been replaced? Also the GN will be fine driving as is that won't be a problem until mods are made? If I do the trade I just plan on driving as is until I learn more about the car and it's workings. If I said I won't wanna mod it one day I'd be lying lol.

Just wanted to make an update here. I am OFFICIALLY the owner of an 87 GN!! Made the deal yesterday. Now to soak up and learn as much as i can about a car ive always liked and NEVER thought i'd own!

Just wanted to make an update here. I am OFFICIALLY the owner of an 87 GN!! Made the deal yesterday. Now to soak up and learn as much as i can about a car ive always liked and NEVER thought i'd own!
Congrats !!!!! Welcome to the dark side!!!!!!