New here and 1st time GN owner

BoostedV6

Just wanted to introduce myself real quick. I just picked up a 22k mile 87 GN with new paint and a couple of mods. I come from the LS1 crowd, having built up a low 10 sec Z28 over the years and also many old school muscle cars. However I am not very savvy with the turbo...at least not yet. I want to apologize up front for any stupid questions I ask:)

Even though I have only had the GN a week I see alot of potential. My goal is to have a mid 11 second reliable daily driver without lifting a valve cover.

I am in the Texas DFW area.

Thanks,
-Allen

Cool, welcome aboard Allen. You have come to the right place, as these cars are a totally different animal than you are used to. Enjoy your stay:)

...My goal is to have a mid 11 second reliable daily driver without lifting a valve cover.....

That is not too far fetched, have fun!

Oh yeah, and welcome to the Dark Side.

Welcome Allen. I see your in the DFW area. You might want take a look at our local Buick club website at www.lspbc.org

You can also join our e-mail list which you can sign up through our web site. Most of the club members use the e-mail list to communicate within the club.

Many knowledeable guys in our club and area. One of the best things I did was to join the club as I too had very little knowledge on these cars. I'm still no guru, but I learn a few things here and there not to mention the local brothers in the club willing to lend a hand.

Again welcome!

Dannyo

Welcome!

Just remember, around here there are no stupid questions, just a BUNCH of stoopid answers. ;)

Were you the one posting questions recently in LS1.com?

With the right bolts ons, mid 11's is a peice of cake. But throw out half of what you know because these cars are a different animal. Be sure to hook up with the guys at the Lone Star club as their help will be invaluable and they're a good bunch of guys. Then you can bring your car here to Oklahoma with them for our big Buick vs. Ford shootout next year. :cool:

Welcome to the darkside and this site.You can find out everything you need to know here and there are a few other TR related sites as well.One of the first things you need to know is ...the power plate is not a restriction.Enjoy!!:D

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I look forward to meeting up with the local members here in the DFW area (and others if possible.) I will get signed up with LSPBC in the near future. And I will definately like to compete against the Ford guys:) My home over the last couple of years has been www.torquecentral.com, great bunch of people who love to compete.

As soon as I get past inspection the mods will begin:D .

Thanks for taking care of my user name Jesse.

-Allen

hmm, familiar indeed...:)

You'll get A LOT of help with your car on this form.
Welcome aboard and hope you have fun with your new toy.

BOOSTD

Welcome in, you have choosen the Ultimate Power car. Buicks are very Special cars and made for Special peoples, you will get addicted to that Turbo buick just like all of us, they are awesome cars with unlimitted power potential. Enjoy the Supersonic Ride. Nice day to all. Gilles. :cool:

Originally posted by BoostedV6
Even though I have only had the GN a week I see alot of potential. My goal is to have a mid 11 second reliable daily driver without lifting a valve cover.

I suggest you check out my website
I ran 11.52 @ 118 mph and my motor was completely factory stock except I changed out the old worn factory valve springs (sorry I had to lift the valve covers off ONE time) and I daily drive my car in good weather about 10k miles a year

Check out the mods I had/have...I may have spent maybe $8000 over the years but alot of that is cosmetic/goodies that aren't 100% needed to go fast. Plus I just had my tranny rebuilt to be bullit-proof by vince janis transmission for $1800. I bet maybe $3000 of that 8k would still allow me to run 11's all day. Make sure it is fully tuned and running good before you mod anything.

These cars are a hoot to drive. Plenty fast and yet quiet and comfortable. Your going to have to change alot of the old school ideas. There are lots of guys here running in the 11s with bolt ons. Get used to reading alot! It took me about 2 monthes to get the part names and a general idea of their fuctions. Over all they arn't that difficult to understand. I think my biggest fear is the tranny. Expen$ive to fix.

Also remember this: SCAN TOOL, SCAN TOOL, SCAN TOOL!!!

Otherwise you're just wandering aimlessly in the dark and you'll get practice on changing head gaskets or worse (BLAM!). :eek: