New guy

Bob Mustic

Hello,

Chuck Leeper gave me the info on this forum and it looks great.

The reason I'm writing is I thought some of you would be interested in a rather unusual use of a Stage II motor.

With Chuck's help (a LOT of help) we put together a Kit Cobra using a Buick Stage II normally aspirated motor. Its fairly low compression and has a singe Holley 4 barrel carb.

The car is a street car that get Road Raced and Drag raced occasionally.

So far we've gotten it down to 10.8's with a best 60' time of 1.48. Chuck thinks it will get into the low to mid 10's. I agree.

The fun part of this project is that it is driving the Ford powered Cobra guys a little nuts. No one can figure out how a 6 can go this fast, especially without a "power adder".

Anyway thought I'd say HI and also I do have a GN its an 84 with an 87 motor and an Intercooler. Currently its getting its cam replaced because of it being one of the cams that was "not so hard"<G>

I'll see if I can upload a picture of the project for anyone interested.

Regards,

Bob

Attachments

• cobrarear320.jpg
    cobrarear320.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 260
Beautiful car!! I think doing it with a domestic 6 cylinder is why we love it so much, we dare to be different:) I hope to see you and your car at some of the Buick events this year..Welcome to the board.

GNScott

Thanks...

A comment on your Ford 9". I also use that in the Cobra and found out that although they are strong their Posi system is terrible. Yours probably doesn't use one but thought I'd mention it. I ended up putting the Daytona Pinion support in and went to a Powertrax center section. I've been told they're strong and "simple".

Thought I'd throw a picture of the motor on this note so you guys can see a Stage motor in its "simpler" form<G>

Bob

Attachments

• verysmallmotor.jpg
    verysmallmotor.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 216
Hi Ron,

Ron's the guy that sold me that motor. Its definitely a "keeper"...

Ron do you go a whole season on your ISKY lifters? If so about how many hours is that? Do you have them rebuilt every season?

Thanks...

Bob

Roughly I probably put about 50 hours a season on a set of lifters. That is at 82 to 8500 rpms. I've been thinking about the lifter deal and was wondering if running a rev kit might be a good idea. That way the roller is in constant contact with the cam and the lash is taken up between the pushrod and the rocker arm instead of the cam lobe and the roller. I run a whole season and sometimes two on a set of lifters. The only time I ever broke an Isky lifter was when the clutch slipped and floated the valves a couple of times. Broke a roller and of course a few other parts followed. Just getting started putting a couple of motors for this season together. Think I'll throw a rev kit in just in case.

Ron,

Great minds think alike.

My son Mike and I were talking last night (I think I mentioned it to Chuck also) that the Rev Kit that came with the engine and that is currently on the engine has already saved me once. I think I told you that when the motor came off the dyno the guys adjusted the valves since the engine had now been broken in.

When they did they got one of the pushrods under the lip of the Jesel rocker arm (instead of in the cup). The first time I drove the car we busted the shaft on the Jesel because of it. It was a simple fix though as the Rev Kit had held the lifter in place instead of allowing to be spit out of its bore.

It seems to me that the Rev kit should do exactly what you stated. The lifter should always stay in contact with the cam. Which would be much easier on the roller (I would think).

Isky's new lifters, Red zone I think they are called, sound like the trick set up though. They told me that the bearings are much stronger and that (if you have wet lifter bores) there is a passage directly to the roller bearing built into the lifter itself.

That or Schubeck's trick lifter would be the way to go. I checked them out but you have to buy the cam with the lifters as they have to go together. He will grind the cam to any specs.

Regards,

Bob

Bob, How is the dtreetability with that rear , and how much was it $$??

9" Ford

Powertrax makes a "Detroit locker" type center and then they make the unit I bought which is more expensive but it its smoother when it releases. I believe that unit was in the mid 400 range. I called a guy that I know who own Shell Valley Cobra (Manufacturer) and its the only thing he has found that you can drive on the street and can take severe drag racing abuse.

I notice on the Cobra which is much lighter than the Buick that I can sometimes feel a little wiggle when the unit unlocks in a turn. It seems to be getting better and better as it breaks in though. I called Powertrax and they told me that it will eventually not even be noticeable.

By the way the guy who recommended it has a 540 cubic Inch ford in a Cobra and was running Pikes Peak with it last year. He came in second to a Sprint car with a Stage II Buick<G> When I met him at Carlisle he asked me what kind of engine I was putting in my car and I told him "Oh you won't know what it is" and he said Try me. I told him and he told me about Pikes Peak. He said he could just stay with the Stage II on the straights but the second they'd go into a turn the guy would leave him as they came out of the turn and accelerated. It gave me "hope"<G>

Hope the above helps,

Bob