New Guy: Hello and thanks to all

whiteregal6

It had been a dream to own one of these cars since I first saw one in 1987. I swore I would own one before I died. I got my chance in 1996 when my buddy sold me his. Driving the car was like no other car I had ever driven.

Fast forward to present. My 87 T has been sitting for eight years since the Powermaster decided it didn't want to be in the Buick anymore. After 140,000 miles I had just had the engine and turbo rebuilt and changed about every sensor on the car whether it needed it or not. We were in the process of having our first child, and I just lost interest in the car. It stayed in the garage, gathering dust and boxes and whatever else could be piled on top of it. I was recently informed by "she who must be obeyed" that it was either "drive it, or dump it". While my wife was having visions of the car being towed off to the junk yard, I cleaned off the dust thinking that I'd better get it looking at least like it was restorable so I could sell it. I started to detail the outside of the car and thought the car was starting to look pretty good. I looked at the interior which was just as I had left it, in excellent condition. Then I thought I may have been stupid enough to leave the battery hooked up and in the car, only to find that I at least had the sense to take it out, or it would have corroded right through the car. Changed the oil, filled up the tires, flushed the coolant, and put in a new battery. Cranked it to get some oil in there, reconnected the wire, and she started right up. As I sat there listening to the motor I thought, "okay, there is no way I'm selling this car. I gotta fix the brakes." Now, if I could only get the courage to tell the wife. I can hear her now, "Okay, but if that thing breaks and you don't have access to your work vehicle......." As my thoughts of the sound of the turbo spooling up slowly drowns out her voice. :smile:

Want to know what it's like getting back into these things after eight years? I was paranoid about discontinued parts eight years ago. Now, it's downright scary. Still, the aftermarket appears to have actually come around in alot of areas where I thought they wouldn't. However, am I only a wastegate solenoid away from the car sitting for another eight years?

Anyway, just wanted to tell my story, as boring as it may be. I am looking to get the beast running so that I can enjoy it for as long as I possibly can. I can see that the crop of Buick turbo car owners has not really changed much since I was last reading posts eight years ago. Turbo enthusiasts are a special breed, just like these cars. In the past, I had received alot of on-line help through reviewing posts on forums like this one. Alot of people giving up valuable time to help those with less knowledge out. I thank all of you for that. My knowledge of these cars pales in comparison to most of the members here. I hope I have something to contribute. Thanks again.

That's gotta be tough letting a white w/blackout sitting in the garage for 8 years because of no brakes. I just got mine about 2 years ago, rebuilt a motor for it and a few odds and ends and now tearing the shell off to cut out the discovered rust issued. Completed clean car just sitting. Time to spend a few nights with the Buford and some buddies. It will come back, it always does:rolleyes: What's wrong with the powermaster???? As far as the wife goes, get the car in top shape and take it out for a night on the town. I bet she changes her mind. Mine is at a similar point. It's more like "do it right or your selling it. THere's no reason why it shouldn't be a like a new car when its done!"

Welcome to TB.com...

You have found an awesome place to gather any and all information you will need to get that white T back stomping the pavement. There are many posts and a plethera of information to put a vacuum system in place of that powermaster - or you can find some parts on here to fix what is there now. Here is a site that has so many technical references, it is unreal... Brake System I actually put you right on the page that you need to be for your brakes. It takes a little time to learn to navigate the site, but it is worth it.

Post a pic of your white T, here is a pic on my recently purchased T. The welds are gone and I now have Centerline billet 15X8's all the way around. These cars are sharp. I have a burgandy bench interior with some nice options...

Mike

Attachments

• My 87 T Wo2.JPG
    My 87 T Wo2.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 118
I had to laugh when you mentioned you could hear the spool of the turbo drown out the wifes voice. There are options for your braking issues, swap it with a rebuilt unit that comes with a lifetime guarantee or convert to vacuum. Both are pretty easy and cost effective.

There are vendors here that sell both. Whether you have a son or a daughter wouldn't it be nice to make this a family project and maybe hand the car down some day. I debated getting rid of my 87 GN but the wife wouldn't hear about it. The car is being willed to my youngest son some day.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. Your definitely in the right place for tech advice. Let's also see some pics.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, guys. I never thought of getting the Buick to be the source of a family activity, but I like that idea alot. I just need to make sure my five year old has his plastic tools in his hand when he's in the garage "working" on the car. "How many times has Daddy told you not to hit the Mass Air Flow Sensor? If your going to hit something, hit that green thing with the ball coming out of the side. Daddy hates that thing."

I know I'm going to prompt some major head shaking, but I actually purchased the vacuum brake conversion kit from MasterPower Brakes (expensive), and had that sitting around for eight years, too! I know, I'm shaking my head, also. After alot of scouring this forum, I think that's the way I'm going to go. Reading the posts on Powermaster vs. vacuum vs. Hydroboost has been quite entertaining, actually. Lots of very strong opinions, but I'm sure everyone means well. My Powermaster went out when I was returning from golf one day, and I blew right through a two-way stop. Luckily, no one was coming. I understand I did not change the fluid often, etc., but I'm afraid I've lost the faith.

Beamer, that's my car! I still have the stock wheels on it, and mine is a grey interior. I'll see if I can't get some pictures up. All bumper fillers are totally cracked, but that's no surprise. Thanks again for the suggestions and hope. I'm sure I will be posting something once I've gotten under the dash to try and get the pedal out. Like call the paramedics, maybe.

Dont feel bad, ive been running hard pedal since i bought it, its up for winter now but im going to hydro set up, was gonna do vacuum but i like the hydro.