New Guy - Don't know what I have.

Turbobug

You all have a very informative and well organized site. I have gathered a lot of good information just by reading through the posts and responses.

I don't know much about Buick engines except what I have read in the last couple of weeks since buying a vintage Bugeye Sprite racecar with a trashed Buick V6 (non turbo). As a replacement engine, I just bought what was advertized as a Grand National Turbocharged V6, Carbed engine for $400. It reportedly has been rebuilt with new pistons (true), and an aftermarket cam (not sure yet).Quite a bargain, I guess....but maybe not.

I'm thinking the engine is more likely from an earlier Buick rather than being from the later Black Grand National era.

The Turbo engine is marked F18 3.8 -7 and the casting number stamped on the engine is 25508397. The heads are marked M-21 and M-4 with the number B1262098 (I found a match on the internet that tagged these as 1979 vintage). The turbo intake manifold is marked F 263171. I checked the "B4black"webpage and didn't find any matching numbers in their listing.

The turbo sits to the passenger rear and next to the driver side carb inlet. I think this is the older style turbo.

I have some parts to find/buy and need to find out what I really have and if I can interchange some parts from the non-turbo V6 sitting in the corner of the garage like the flywheel and vibration damper.

Missing is a carb, flywheel, torque converter, vibration damper and some mysterious piece that fits the "under the engine" exhaust loop where it enters the passenger side exhaust manifold (holes don't line up and loop is too short by a couple of inches). I'd also like to stick on an after market carb, if possible. Any suggestions. Any good parts places on the internet for the older turbo engines?
I appreciate any help. Thanks.

engine casting numbers http: //gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html :cool:

25508397 ? might have mistaken the 6 for an 8, because it shows 25506397 as a 1983, and the other one shows nothing..

the other stuff i cant help with

Thanks for the info. The engine is an 83. Assuming the 79 parts won't work...or will they?? Any help out there on part interchange for early turbos?

Supreme 85,

I'm interested in both the carb and flywheel. What are you asking for them?

Turbobug